Baseball Heads To Lafayette This Weekend For Patriot League Contests
Overall: 10-14; Last Week: 4-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 9, Harvard 4; Cambridge, Mass., 3/27
Bucknell 6, Holy Cross 3; Worcester, Mass., 3/30
Holy Cross 5, Bucknell 4; Worcester, Mass., 3/30
Holy Cross 5, Bucknell 4; Worcester, Mass., 3/31
Holy Cross 9, Bucknell 3; Worcester, Mass., 3/31
Schedule: Tuesday, April 2 at Hartford; Hartford, Conn., 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 3 at Marist; Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 6 at Lafayette (DH); Easton, Pa., 12:00/2:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 7 at Lafayette (DH); Easton, Pa., 12:00/2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team went 3-1 over the past weekend in the first Patriot League series of the season versus Bucknell on Saturday and Sunday, March 30-31. On Saturday, the two teams split the games with Bucknell winning the first one, 6-3, and Holy Cross claiming game two, 5-4. The Crusaders swept the Bison on Sunday with victories of 5-4 and 9-3. Holy Cross also defeated Harvard on Wednesday, March 27 by a score of 9-4. With the 4-1 record this past week, the Crusaders improve to 10-14 on the season as they have won eight of their last nine contests. Holy Cross is also tied for first in the Patriot League standings with Navy at 3-1.
- This week, the Crusaders will play two non-conference games on the road at Hartford (April 2) and at Marist (April 3). Both games will begin at 3:30 p.m. This weekend, Holy Cross will travel to Easton, Pa. to take on Lafayette in the second Patriot League series of the season. Both doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday, April 6-7, will begin at 12:00 p.m.
- Hartford enters the game with a 5-18 overall record and has won three of its last five contests. Marist will play a game on Tuesday versus Stony Brook, as it has a 12-8 record this season. Lafayette plays one contest this week versus LaSalle before it hosts Holy Cross this weekend. The Leopards are 5-21 this season and are 2-2 in the Patriot League after splitting last weekend's series versus Lehigh.
- Holy Cross senior first baseman/catcher Jordan Enos (Stockton, Calif.) continued his torrid stretch at the plate as the fourth-year player batted .562 (9-for-16) on the week with four runs, five doubles and six RBIs. In game two versus Bucknell, Enos tied the game in the bottom of the eighth inning with an RBI-double. He was pinch-run for and that base runner later scored to put the Crusaders on top 5-4. Enos also totaled three RBIs in the fourth game of the series versus Bucknell. For the season, he leads the team and Patriot League with a .387 batting average and is second in the conference in slugging percentage (.520), RBIs (19) and doubles (10).
- Junior outfielder Brandon Cipolla (Abington, Mass.) also had a great week at the dish, as he went 9-for-19 (.474) with eight runs, two doubles, two triples and five RBIs. During the twin bill on Sunday, March 31, Cipolla combined to go 5-for-6 with six runs, two triples and a pair of RBIs. Cipolla is second on the team with a .353 batting average and 17 runs scored. He is tied for second in triples (3) and tied for third on the team with 15 RBIs. Cipolla has the fourth best batting average in the Patriot League and is tied for first in triples.
- Holy Cross senior co-captain John Colella (Herndon, Va.) had his best pitching week of the season as he picked up his first win and save of the season. In three appearances out of the bullpen, Colella tossed six scoreless innings and allowed three hits and three walks, while fanning seven batters. He was credited with the win during the second game versus Bucknell and earned the save during game three. For the season, Colella has a 5.87 ERA in 23 innings pitched. He is tied for second on the team with 22 strikeouts.
- Senior Mike Ahmed (East Longmeadow, Mass.) and sophomore Donny Murray (Walpole, Mass.) both earned wins this week on the mound as they each threw six innings apiece. Ahmed allowed one run on six hits and struck out five batters in the fourth game versus Bucknell, while Murray fanned a season-high 10 batters and allowed four runs (two earned) in the third game of the series versus the Bison. Ahmed also had a good week at the plate as he batted .308 (4-for-13) with four runs scored and five stolen bases.
- Holy Cross freshman infielder Nick Lovullo (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) had a two-RBI double in the third game versus Bucknell to put the Crusaders on top 5-4 in the bottom of the sixth inning. The first-year player batted .308 on the week (4-for-13) with three runs and six RBIs. For the season, he has a .261 average with 16 runs scored and 15 RBIs.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross baseball team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.