Overall: 22-20; Last Week: 6-0
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 7, Brown 0; Worcester, Mass., 4/17
Holy Cross 1, Brown 0; Worcester, Mass., 4/17
Holy Cross 3, Lehigh 1; Worcester, Mass., 4/20
Holy Cross 9, Lehigh 6; Worcester, Mass., 4/20
Holy Cross 3, Lehigh 2; Worcester, Mass., 4/21
Holy Cross 4, Lehigh 0; Worcester, Mass., 4/21
Schedule: Tuesday, April 23 at Maine; Sanford, Maine, postponed
Wednesday, April 24 vs. Siena; Worcester, Mass., 5:00 p.m.
Saturday April 27 at Army (DH); West Point, N.Y., 12:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 28 at Army (DH); West Point, N.Y., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team had a perfect 6-0 week as it swept Brown in a doubleheader on Wednesday, April 17, and won all four games versus Lehigh during the pair of Patriot League twinbills on Saturday and Sunday, April 20-21. With the wins, the Crusaders improve to 22-20 on the season and are currently in first place in the Patriot League at 12-4. Holy Cross also clinched a spot in the conference tournament this past weekend.
- This week, the Crusaders will host Siena on Wednesday, April 24 at 5:00 p.m. at Fitton Field. The contest versus the Saints will be broadcasted live on Crusader Vision. Holy Cross will wrap up its Patriot League regular season this Saturday and Sunday, April 27-28, as it will make the trip to West Point, N.Y. to take on Army in a pair of twinbills beginning at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday and at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday. The Crusaders can clinch the No. 1 seed in the Patriot League Tournament with a pair of wins versus the Black Knights this weekend. Holy Cross' game at Maine on Tuesday, April 23 was postponed to a later date.
- Holy Cross junior infielder/pitcher Mike Ahmed (East Longmeadow, Mass.) had a stellar week for the Crusaders as he claimed Patriot League Player of the Week for his performance. The junior co-captain appeared in all six contests and batted 8-for-15 (.533) with two doubles, eight runs scored, one RBI and a pair of stolen bases. He also pitched the series finale versus the Mountain Hawks and tossed six scoreless frames and allowed five hits and one walk, while striking out a pair in picking up the win. For the season, Ahmed is batting .270 with 26 runs scored and 10 stolen bases. He is also 3-3 on the mound with a 3.58 ERA and 26 strikeouts.
- Crusaders senior pitcher John Colella (Herndon, Va.) dominated out of the bullpen this past week for Holy Cross as he pitched in three contests versus Lehigh. The senior co-captain earned a pair of saves on Saturday, April 20 as he pitched 2.1 scoreless innings and allowed one hit, two walks and four strikeouts. He followed that with a 2.2 inning performance on Sunday, April 21and picked up his third save of the weekend. On Sunday, Colella came in with one out and runners on first and third and got out of the frame without allowing any runs. For the season, Colella has a 4.10 ERA with a team-best four saves. He is also second on the team with 39 strikeouts in 37.1 innings pitched.
- Senior outfielder Patrick Puentes (East Greenbush, N.Y.) batted .500 on the week (10-for-20) with three doubles, three runs scored and a pair of RBIs. Puentes is now batting .308 this season with nine doubles, six home runs and 24 RBIs. He is also currently riding a 10-game hitting streak, which ties a season-best for the Crusaders.
- Holy Cross junior pitcher Nate Walker (San Diego, Calif.) appeared in two games this weekend as he combined to toss eight scoreless innings for the Crusaders. Walker picked up the win during the first game versus Brown and earned his first save of the season as he pitched the final three innings against Lehigh during the series finale. This season, Walker is 2-1 with a 4.21 ERA in 25.2 innings pitched. Senior pitcher Andrew Boyce (Avon, Conn.) also picked up two wins out of the bullpen to improve his record to 4-4 this season.
- Senior pitcher Tom Marra (Sea Cliff, N.Y.) had another great pitching performance this week as he pitched six innings in the series opener versus Lehigh and allowed one earned run on seven hits, while fanning six batters. This season, Marra 3-3 with a 4.17 ERA in 45.1 innings pitched. In Patriot League games, Marra is 3-0 with a 1.04 ERA.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross baseball team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.