Holy Cross Falls At American 64-61 In Overtime

Dave Dudzinski

WASHINGTON, D.C. – American guard Daniel Munoz hit a three-point field goal as time expired in overtime, to lift the Eagles to a 64-61 victory over the Holy Cross men's basketball team at Bender Arena. Munoz scored eight of American's 11 points in the extra session, and finished the game with 14 points and five assists. The Crusaders fall to 11-14 overall and 3-7 in the Patriot League with the loss, while the Eagles improve to 10-15 on the season and 5-5 in the conference.

Junior forward Dave Dudzinski (Elburn, Ill.) led the Crusaders with a game-high 19 points and seven rebounds, while senior center Phil Beans (Toledo, Ohio) added 10 points. Stephen Lumpkins posted a double-double for the Eagles with 17 points and 12 rebounds.

Holy Cross held a 59-58 lead in the overtime period, before Lumpkins converted a three-point play to put American up 61-59 with 51.4 seconds remaining. A Dudzinski tip-in then tied the score up at 61-61, and freshman guard Cullen Hamilton (Washington, D.C.) was fouled grabbing a rebound with 5.4 seconds left to play. But Hamilton missed the front end of a one-and-one, and Munoz drove the ball down the court before hitting the winning shot.

The Crusaders began the afternoon by scoring the first four points of the game, before the Eagles used a 10-2 run to pull in front by four (10-6). American would later hold a three-point lead (16-13) with 10 minutes left before the break, when Holy Cross scored the next eight points to take a 21-16 advantage with 5:43 on the clock. But the Eagles netted the next five points to tie up the game, and eventually pulled back in front 29-26 at halftime.

American was still up by one point (36-35) with 15 minutes left in regulation, before using a 9-2 run to claim its largest lead of the day (45-37) with 11:52 on the clock. The Crusaders came right back with a 9-0 spurt of their own, including five points from Beans, to regain the lead (46-45) with 7:38 to go. Neither team would lead by more than three points the rest of the way, and both squads were held scoreless over the final 1:30 before going to overtime tied at 53-53.

Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 20, when it plays host to Lafayette at 7:00 p.m.