Holy Cross Falls To #8 Lehigh 36-35 In Closing Minutes

Reggie Woods

WORCESTER, Mass. – Lehigh quarterback Michael Colvin accounted for 421 yards of total offense and five touchdowns, to lead the eighth-ranked Mountain Hawks to a 36-35 victory over the Holy Cross football team at Fitton Field. The Crusaders were led by junior tailback Reggie Woods (Bowie, Md.), who carried the ball 29 times for a career-high 139 yards and a touchdown on the day. Holy Cross falls to 1-8 overall and 1-3 in the Patriot League with the loss, while Lehigh improves to 9-0 on the season and 3-0 in the conference.

Sophomore quarterbacks Ryan Laughlin (Glen Mills, Pa.) and Steven Elder (San Antonio, Texas) each played half the game for the Crusaders. Laughlin completed 17 of 27 passes for 203 yards and two touchdowns, while Elder hit on 12 of 17 attempts for 133 yards and two scores. Junior wide out Mike Fess (Caldwell, N.J.) totaled 10 receptions for 90 yards and two touchdowns, and senior wide receiver Gerald Mistretta (Brooklyn, N.Y.) made eight catches for 104 yards and two scores. Lehigh's Ryan Spadola totaled eight receptions for 202 yards and two touchdowns on the day.

Lehigh opened the scoring on a two-yard touchdown run by Colvin at the 13:18-mark of the first quarter, following a 74-yard punt return by Marcus Dormevil. Holy Cross responded with an 11-yard scoring strike from Elder to Mistretta, and pulled in front 14-6 early in the second quarter on an eight-yard touchdown pass from Elder to Fess. The Mountain Hawks then used a 33-yard scoring run by Colvin and a 20-yard field goal from Jake Peery to take a 16-14 advantage into the locker room at halftime.

To open the third quarter, Colvin hit Spadola for a 73-yard touchdown, giving Lehigh a 23-14 lead. Laughlin threw a 17-yard scoring strike to Fess on the Crusaders' next possession, followed by a three-yard touchdown run from Woods to put Holy Cross back in front. Mistretta would then catch a 15-yard touchdown pass from Laughlin, and the Crusaders led 35-23 with 4:05 left in the third quarter.

The Mountain Hawks trimmed the margin to 35-30 early in the fourth quarter on a one-yard scoring strike from Colvin to Zachary Hayden. Holy Cross moved the ball across midfield on its next drive, before Laughlin was hit while attempting a pass, and the play was ruled a fumble to give possession back to Lehigh. Later in the quarter, Colvin threw a 33-yard touchdown pass to Spadola with 2:00 remaining, and the Mountain Hawks led 36-35 after the two-point conversion failed. The Crusaders had one last possession and drove down to the Lehigh 27-yard line, but a 43-yard field goal attempt by junior placekicker John Macomber (Vienna, Va.) went wide right with just eight seconds left to play.

Holy Cross returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 10, when it travels to Wagner for a 1:00 p.m. game.