2010 NCAA MEN’S ICE HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP
NORTHEAST REGIONAL · DCU CENTER · WORCESTER, MASS.
BOSTON COLLEGE-ALASKA POSTGAME NOTES
MARCH 27, 2010
Boston College 3, Alaska 1
BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES
- The Eagles improve to 26-10-3 this season. They are now 38-37 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and 9-0 in the tournament’s first round under head coach Jerry York.
- BC is 11-0 all-time in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Head coach Jerry York is 30-18-1 overall in the NCAA Tournament, and 25-8 in the tournament while coaching BC.
- BC has won four straight and is 7-1 overall in NCAA Tournament games held at the DCU Center. Junior goaltender John Muse is 5-0 in the NCAA Tournament.
- Matt Lombardi’s goal in the first period was his first shorthanded tally of the season and the team’s fifth. He now has goals in two straight and in three of his last four games.
- The Eagles move to 16-1-2 when leading after one period and 21-4-2 when scoring first. BC is 9-3-1 this season when tied after the second period.
- Pat Mullane has goals in three straight games. Paul Carey notched his first assist in eight games, and Patch Alber picked up his first assist in five contests.
- Matt Price extended his point-scoring streak to two games and has points in four of the last five games. He also posted an empty net/imminent goal with 12 seconds left to go in the third.
- BC will play in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament for the 18th time in school history. In their previous 17 quarterfinal appearances, the Eagles have accumulated a 13-13 all-time record. They are 1-1 against North Dakota (3-1 win, 1999; 6-3 loss, 2005) in that round.
- The Eagles have played the Fighting Sioux in the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament in each of their last three appearances (2006-2008), winning all three, including in 2008 when Boston College won the National Championship. The Eagles own a 6-3 overall record versus North Dakota in the NCAA Tournament.
- BC has never faced Yale in the NCAA Tournament.
- The Nanooks finish their season 18-12-9 overall.
- Alaska was making its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since moving to Division I in the 1984-85 season.
- Alaska is 17-26 all-time in the postseason and 0-1 in the NCAA Division I Tournament. Head coach Dallas Ferguson is 4-6 all-time in the postseason at Alaska. The Nanooks are 2-5 in neutral site postseason games all-time.
- Alaska is 4-15-1 all-time versus Hockey East teams and 0-1 this season.
- Joe Sova finishes the season with assists in two straight games and four of his last six.
- Andy Taranto’s goal was his first since the March 6 contest against Western Michigan, a 4-1 win for the Nanooks.
- Taranto finishes the season second on the Nanooks in goals (18) and points (42). Dion Knelsen finishes with the team lead in points (43) and tied for first with Taranto with 24 assists.
- Alaska-Fairbanks finishes the season 3-5-2 against nationally ranked opponents.