Men's Soccer Concludes 2013 Season
Holy Cross Men's Soccer
Overall: 9-9-2 (6-3-0 PL); Last Week: 1-1-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Colgate 0, Worcester, Mass., 11/12, PL Quarterfinals
Holy Cross 1, Army 1 (OT), HC advances on penalty kicks, 4-3, Annapolis, Md., 11/15, PL Semifinals
Navy 2, Holy Cross 0, Annapolis, Md., 11/17, PL Championship Game
- The Holy Cross men's soccer team concluded the 2013 season by reaching the Patriot League championship game for the first time since 2008, falling to Navy, 2-0. Freshman Joey DeVivo (Ridgefield, Conn.), senior captain Dane Kenny (Williston Park, N.Y.) and sophomore goalie Kevin Wright (McKinney, Texas) were named to the All-Tournament team. The Crusaders' nine overall wins are their most since going 9-5-5 in 2008, while their six Patriot League victories tie for their most all-time with the 2001 team which went 6-0-1 in league play. Holy Cross' 24 goals this season are its most since netting 26 in 2007 and its 25 goals allowed are its lowest since allowing 18 in 2009.
- For the second year in a row senior captain Monty Sanders (Temecula, Calif.) earned first team All-Patriot League honors. He was also named to the Patriot League All-Academic team for the first time in his career. Sanders is a two-time captain who as a senior tallied four goals, eight assists and 16 points, which were all all career-highs. Sanders led the team in assists and points, as his eight assists are second all-time in a season in school history. He also led the team with a career-best three game-winning goals. His eight assists rank second in the league and 23rd nationally. His 16 points are fifth in the league and his four goals are tied for eighth. During his career, Sanders only missed one game, playing and starting in 71 games posting a total of 11 career goals, 10 assists and 32 points. His 10 assists are tied for 10th all-time in program history.
- Sophomore goalie Kevin Wright (McKinney, Texas) went 9-7-2 on the season. He tallied a career-best nine saves as the Crusaders earned a 3-0 win versus Colgate in the Patriot League quarterfinals. His 5.17 saves per game and 93 total saves lead the Patriot League. His total saves are 16th nationally and his saves per game are 23rd.
- Freshman Joey DeVivo (Ridgefield, Conn.) led the team with six goals this season. His six goals and 13 points are the most by a Crusader freshman since Kyle Miller tallied seven goals and 16 points as a freshman in 2007. His six goals were tied for sixth in the league and his 13 points were seventh in the conference.
- Senior Josh Cintas (San Diego, Calif.) earned second-team All-Patriot League honors in 2013. This season he tied for second on the team with four goals and also had two assists for 10 points. He netted two goals as the Crusaders defeated Colgate in the Patriot League quarterfinals, 3-0. His four goals this season are tied for eighth in the league. Cintas played in 52 career games with 46 starts. Over his collegiate career, he totaled 11 goals and eight assists for a combined 30 career points.
- Senior Tommy Uttaro (Staten Island, N.Y.) earned third-team All-Patriot League honors. Uttaro appeared in 71 career games that included 63 starts, which is tied for the most games played by any current member of the team. In his career, Uttaro tallied eight goals and eight assists totaling 24 points. Four of his eight goals were game winners. This season he had three goals and two assists for eight points.
- Sophomore Luke Melody (Mansfield, Conn.) also received third-team All-Patriot League honors. Melody made 20 starts in his 20 games played this season. He had one goal and one assist for three points including his first career game winner in the 2-1 victory over Lehigh on Nov. 9. In his 36 career games played, Melody has started in all 36. He has scored three goals and has one assist for seven career points. He posted two goals for four points as a freshman in 2012.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross men's soccer team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.