Men's Tennis Defeats Nichols & Assumption
DUDLEY, Mass. – Sophomore Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) won two singles matches on the afternoon as the Holy Cross men's tennis team opened up its dual match slate at the Nichols Tournament, winning 5-4 over Division III Nichols and then 9-0 against Assumption at the Nichols Tennis Courts. With the result, the Crusaders start their fall season with a record of 2-0 while the Bison move to 0-2 and the Greyhounds fall to 0-1.
McCann took home his first singles win of the season, winning the No. 6 match against Nichols in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4. Freshman Nick Berrettini (Haverford, Pa.) then came away victorious, winning his singles match in three sets (3-6, 7-5, 6-3). Senior Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) was the third winner, earning a three-set win at No. 5 singles. Nichols picked up the No. 1, No. 3 and No. 4 wins. The Crusaders also won two of the three doubles matches as McCann and fellow sophomore Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) won the No. 3 match 8-5. Sullivan and Berrettini won their first match together as the team's No. 1 doubles duo, winning 8-5 as well. Because of Division III rules, every match earns a point so Holy Cross won by the final 5-4 score.
The Crusaders won all three doubles matches versus the Greyhounds. Holy Cross also won all six singles matches with McCann earning his second win of the day.
Holy Cross will continue play against Coast Guard on Tuesday, Sept. 20. The Crusaders open up their home slate at 3:30 p.m. at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
Holy Cross 5, versus Nichols 4
1. David Drucker (NC) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-7, 7-6, 4-10
2. Nick Berrettini (HC) def. Brandon Roode (NC), 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Steve Carella (NC) def. Chris Das (HC), 6-3, 6-1
4. Isiah Prosper (NC) def. Chris Brosnan (HC), 6-2, 6-1
5. Tim Regan (HC) def. A. Gasparyan (NC), 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Connor McCann (HC) def. Dan Saucier (NC), 6-0, 6-4
1. Sullivan/Berrettini (HC) def. Carella/Roode (NC), 8-5
2. Gasparyan/Durcker (NC) def. Das/Regan (HC), 8-0
3. Brosnan/McCann (HC) def. Prosper/Healy (NC), 8-5
Holy Cross 9, versus Assumption 0
1. Sullivan (HC) def. Matthew Drolet (AC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Das (HC) def. Joseph Esposito (AC), 2-6, 7-5, (10-7)
3. Brosnan (HC) def. Patrick Murray (AC), 6-2, 6-3
4. McCann (HC) def. Richard Jakiel (AC), 6-1, 6-1
5. Brownell (HC) def. Jayson Gallant (AC), 6-1, 6-3
6. Rob Buetti (HC) Jeremiah Reilly (AC), 6-2, 6-0