GOFFSTOWN, N.H. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team lost its first spring 2013 match to Southern New Hampshire, 6-3, on Sunday evening at the Allard Center. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-1 overall this season, while the Penmen improve to 6-0.
Holy Cross was able to win three points during the match from its No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles players. Junior Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) won his No. 4 singles match, 4-6, 6-3, 10-7 over Brad Malenich, while senior Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass) captured the No. 5 match over Tim Hamilton, 8-3. No. 6 player, freshman Rich DeGregoris (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) won his match, 9-7, as he defeated Evan Eaton.
The Crusaders doubles teams had two tough-fought matches. The pair of Brosnan and DeGregoris lost their No. 2 doubles match, 8-6, while the No. 3 duo of junior Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) and Brownell were defeated by the same score.
Holy Cross will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 23, when it will travel to Coast Guard for a 12:00 p.m. match.
SOUTHERN N.H. 6, HOLY CROSS 3
1. Mitch Dobek / Mike Wallace (SNH) d. Nick Berrettini / Ryan Sullivan (HC) 8-3
2. Evan Eaton / Brad Malenich (SNH) d. Chris Brosnan / Rich DeGregoris (HC) 8-6
3. Juan Arango-Campo / Tim Hamilton (SNH) d. Connor McCann / Scot Brownell (HC) 8-6
1. Mitch Dobek (SNH) d. Nick Berrettini (HC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Juan Arango-Campo (SNH) d. Ryan Sullivan (HC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Mike Wallace (SNH) d. Connor McCann (HC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Chris Brosnan (HC) d. Brad Malenich (SNH) 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
5. Scot Brownell (HC) d. Tim Hamilton (SNH) 8-3
6. Rich DeGregoris (HC) d. Evan Eaton (SNH) 9-7