Crusaders Defeated By Siena, 6-1
WORCESTER, Mass. – Holy Cross sophomore Nick Berrettini (Haverford, Pa.) won his No. 1 singles match, 1-6, 6-3, 10-6, but the Crusaders were defeated by Siena, 6-1, in non-conference men's tennis action on Friday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, the Saints improve to 3-7 overall, while the Crusaders fall to 0-8 on the season.
Berrettini was able to force a third set in his singles match as he defeated Ryan Schmitz to win his second match of the season. Berrettini and junior co-captain Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) lost a close No. 1 doubles match to Schmitz and Peter Collins, 7-8. In No. 3 singles, Collins defeated Holy Cross junior Connor McCann (Centreville, Mass.) in a close match, 6-3, 7-6.
The Holy Cross doubles pair of junior Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) and freshman Rich DeGregoris (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) dropped their No. 2 match, 5-8, as the Crusaders did not claim any doubles games.
The Crusaders return to action on Wednesday, April 10 as they will host American International at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility at 3:30 p.m.
SIENA 6, HOLY CROSS 1
1. Nick Berrettini (HC) def. Ryan Schmitz (S), 1-6, 6-3, 10-6
2. Dylan Roberts (S) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-2, 6-0
3. Peter Collins (S) def. Connor McCann (HC), 6-3, 7-6
4. Alex Burbine (S) def. Chris Brosnan (HC), 6-2, 6-3
5. Eric Sumanaru (S) def. Scot Brownell (HC), 6-0, 6-4
6. George Parkhurst (S) def. Rich DeGregoris (HC), 6-2, 6-1
1. Schmitz / Collins (S) def. Berrettini / Sullivan, 8-7
2. Burbine / Sumanaru (S) def. Brosnan / DeGregoris (HC), 8-5
3. Roberts / Matt Funiciello (S) def. Brownell / Rob Buetti (HC), 8-2