WORCESTER, Mass. – Holy Cross senior Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) won both his singles and doubles matches, but the Crusaders were defeated by American International, 4-3, in non-conference men's tennis action on Wednesday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, AIC improves to 5-4 overall, while Holy Cross slips to 0-9 on the season.
Brownell claimed the 6-0, 6-0 victory in No. 5 singles, before teaming with junior Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) in No. 3 doubles to win, 8-0. Holy Cross freshman Rich DeGregoris (Rockville, Centre, N.Y.) won his No. 6 singles match, 6-0, 6-0, while junior Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) won a three set match in No. 4 singles, 6-2, 5-7, 6-1.
The difference in the match proved to be the doubles tilts, as AIC won a pair of matches for the deciding point. Holy Cross sophomore Nick Berrettini (Haverford, Pa.) lost his No. 1 singles match in a tiebreaking third set, 1-6, 7-6, (9-11).
The Crusaders return to action on Friday, April 12, when they travel to St. Anselm for a 3:30 p.m. match.
AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL 4, HOLY CROSS 3
1. Cass Schwab (AIC) def. Nick Berrettini (HC), 6-1, 6-7, (11-9)
2. Thijs Bik (AIC) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Kenzo Kauffmann (AIC) def. Connor McCann (HC), 6-4, 6-4
4. Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Jakub Simicek (AIC), 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
5. Scot Brownell (HC) def. Jason Popek (AIC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Rich DeGregoris (HC) def. Chandler Long (AIC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Kauffmann / Bik (AIC) def. Berrettini / Sullivan (HC), 8-4
2. Simicek / Schwab (AIC) def. Brosnan / DeGregoris (HC), 8-6
3. McCann / Brownell (HC) def. Long / Popek (AIC), 8-0