MANCHESTER, N.H. – Holy Cross senior Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) and junior Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) won both their singles and doubles matches as the Crusaders defeated St. Anselm, 5-4, in non-conference men's tennis action on Friday afternoon. Holy Cross picked up its first win of the season and moves to 1-9 overall, while the Hawks slip to 3-9 on the season.
With the match tied at 4-4, Holy Cross senior Tom Casavant (New Canaan, Conn.) won his No. 6 singles match over Christopher Parent, 6-3, 6-1, to clinch the victory for the Crusaders. Brownell won his No. 4 singles match over Matthew Greeke, 6-1, 6-1, while Brosnan claimed his No. 3 singles match over Michael Hanna, 7-6, 6-2. Brownell and Brosnan teamed up for No.2 doubles as the pair won its tilt, 8-3, over Hannah and Joseph Zucchi.
Holy Cross senior Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) won his match at No. 1 singles, as he defeated Zucchi, 6-1, 6-1. Crusaders junior Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) lost a No. 2 singles match, as William Condon defeated him, 6-4, 0-6, 6-3.
The Crusaders return to action on Sunday, April 14 when they host Sacred Heart at 1:00 p.m. at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. The match will be the final home contest for Holy Cross during the 2012-2013 season.
HOLY CROSS 5, ST. ANSELM 4
1. Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Joseph Zucchi (SA), 6-1, 6-1
2. William Condon (SA) def. Connor McCann (HC), 6-4, 0-6, 6-3
3. Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Michael Hanna (SA), 7-6, 6-2
4. Scot Brownell (HC) def. Matthew Greeke (SA), 6-1, 6-1
5. John Joyce (SA) def. Rob Buetti (HC), 6-1, 6-3
6. Tom Casavant (HC) def. Christopher Parent (SA), 6-3, 6-1
1. Condon / Kyle White (SA) def. Sullivan / McCann (HC), 8-6
2. Brosnan / Brownell (HC) def. Zucchi / Hanna (SA), 8-3
3. Greeke / Joyce (SA) def. Buetti / Casavant (HC), 9-7