Men’s Tennis Drops Match To Coast Guard, 7-2
NEW LONDON, Conn. – Holy Cross freshman Pat O'Shea (Wilbraham, Mass.) and junior Rob Buetti (Bay Shore, N.Y.) each picked up a singles victory, but the Crusaders were defeated by Coast Guard, 7-2, in non-conference men's tennis action on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Bears improve to 1-3 on the season, while Holy Cross falls to 1-4 overall.
O'Shea won his No. 4 singles match, 6-1, 6-0 over Bruce Kim, while Buetti claimed his No. 6 singles victory, 7-5, 6-3 over Townshend Hearst. O'Shea teamed up with freshman Sean Frebes (Cleveland, Ohio) in No. 3 doubles, as the pair lost a close match to Jon Lightner and Hearst, 9-8 (8-6).
Holy Cross returns to action on March 15, when it will travel to Wagner for a 1:30 p.m. contest.
COAST GUARD 7, HOLY CROSS 2
1. Mark Guentart (CGA) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-2, 6-4
2. Robert Renfrow (CGA) def. Chris Brosnan (HC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Weston Fortana (CGA) def. Jimmy Ye (HC), 6-0 6-2
4. Pat O'Shea (HC) def. Bruce Kim (CGA), 6-1, 6-0
5. Jon Lightner (CGA) def. Sean Frebes (HC) 7-5, 6-2
6. Rob Buetti (HC) def. Townshend Hearst (CGA), 7-5, 6-3
1. Guentart / Fortna (CGA) def. Sullivan / Brosnan (HC), 8-2
2. Renfrom / Kim (CGA) def. Ye / Charlie Volkwein (HC), 8-3
3. Lightner / Hearst (CGA) def. Frebes / O'Shea (HC), 9-8, (8-6)