Crusaders To Begin Patriot League Play This Weekend
Overall: 2-2 (0-0 Patriot League) Last Week: 1-1
Scoreboard: Harvard 4, Holy Cross 0, Worcester, Mass., 9/13
Holy Cross 1, Sacred Heart 0, Worcester, Mass., 9/15
Schedule: Saturday, Sept. 21 at American, Washington, D.C., 12:00 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 22 vs. Georgetown, College Park, Md., 4:00 p.m.
- This week, the Holy Cross field hockey team will begin its Patriot League schedule on the road at American on Sept. 21 at 12:00 p.m. The Crusaders will then play Georgetown on Sunday, Sept. 22 at 4:00 p.m. in College Park, Md. The Eagles hold an overall record of 4-2 this year, while the Hoyas are 0-6 on the season. American is led by Carly Atchison, who has two goals and four assists for eight points this season, while Georgetown is led by Sarah Butterfield, who has three goals on the year. Holy Cross is 3-14 overall versus American going back to 1999, while the Crusaders are 3-2 against the Hoyas in games since 2002.
- Last week, Holy Cross went 1-1 with a 4-0 loss to Harvard on Sept. 13 and a 1-0 victory over Sacred Heart on Sept. 15. The Crusaders' record now stands at 2-2 on the season and is their best start to a campaign since Holy Cross started the 2006 season at 2-2. The two victories also ties its win total from last year.
- Holy Cross freshman goalkeeper Maya Langman (Crozet, Va.) was named Patriot League Rookie of the Week for her for her performance this past week. Langman made eight saves in a 1-0 win over Sacred Heart, preserving the shutout by making five stops on five straight penalty corners from the 62nd-64th minute. It was her first career shutout and victory after making her starting debut versus Harvard. Langman made five saves in that contest and held the Crimson scoreless through 52 minutes of play. She ranks second in the Patriot League with 6.5 saves per game and is only one of four goalies in the league with a shutout.
- Crusaders freshman midfielder Lauren Sutherland (Watertown, Mass.) netted the game-winning goal in the 14th minute to help lead the Crusaders to a 1-0 victory over Sacred Heart. For the season, Sutherland leads the Crusaders with two goals and four points, and is ranked fourth in the Patriot League with 0.50 goals per game.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross field hockey team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.