Field Hockey Edges Bryant, 2-1 In Overtime

Carly Grimaudo

WORCESTER, Mass. – Holy Cross senior captain Carly Grimaudo (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) scored the game-winning goal at the 77:34 mark in overtime to help lead the Crusaders to a 2-1 triumph over Bryant in non-conference field hockey action on Tuesday evening at the Hart Turf Field. With the win, Holy Cross improves to 3-6 on the season, while the Bulldogs end their seven-game winning streak and fall to 7-2 overall.

Just seven minutes into the overtime period, Grimaudo took the ball down the left side of the field. She weaved in and out of two defenders and slipped a shot under the diving Bryant goalie that found its way to the back of the cage. The marker was her first of the season and the third game-winner of her career. Prior to the goal, Bryant had two chances to end the game with shots on net, but Holy Cross junior goalkeeper Kat Matchett (Maple Glen, Pa.) made the clutch saves.

After a scoreless first half in which Bryant held the 7-2 edge in shots, both teams turned up the offensive intensity in the second stanza. The Bulldogs had two chances in the early minutes of the second half as Rosie Bird launched two shots on net between the 42nd and 43rd minutes, but Matchett stood tall. Holy Cross looked as if it would score the first tally of the game in the 54th minute, as sophomore Katy Cronin (Franklin, Mass.) had a breakaway down the left side. Bryant goalkeeper Megan Hancock, however, made the kick save to preserve the stalemate.

The Bulldogs potted the contest's first marker in the 61st minute. Off a penalty corner, Kimberly Lizotte tipped in a shot from Olivia Jankins to put Bryant ahead 1-0. The lead was short lived, however, as the Crusaders answered in the 63rd minute. Cronin took the ball down the left side of the field and beat the last Bryant defender. She then ripped a short side shot that slipped by Hancock to tie the game at 1-1. The goal was Cronin's second of the season.  

The Bulldogs kept up the pressure late in the second half, as they had three penalty corners between the 66th and 68th minutes, but they were unable to convert on the opportunities. Holy Cross sophomore midfielder Michelle McNeil (Canton, Mass.) made things interesting in the final minute of regulation, as she had two great shots on net, but Hancock made the saves to force the overtime period and Grimaudo's heroics.

Matchett earned her second win of the season (2-3), as she made eight saves. Her counterpart, Hancock, pushed aside five shots on net in the losing effort. Bryant held statistical advantages in shots (14-9), shots on goal (9-7) and penalty corners (10-1).

Holy Cross returns to action on Friday, Oct. 4, when it will host new Patriot League member, Boston University on the Hart Turf Field at 7:00 p.m.