Overall: 0-0-0 (0-0-0 ECAC East); Last Week: 0-0-0
Schedule: Sunday, Oct. 28 vs. Potsdam State, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team will drop the puck on the 2012-2013 season this weekend, hosting Potsdam State on Sunday, Oct. 28, at 1:00 p.m. at the Hart Center. This is the first time since the inaugural women's ice hockey season that the Crusaders have opened the up at home in October, defeating UMass Lowell on Oct. 31, 1999 by a score of 6-2. The last time the season began this early was in 2010 when the team traveled to Salve Regina on Oct. 29.
- This will be the first ever meeting between the Crusaders and the Bears. Potsdam will open its season on Saturday, Oct. 27, on the road at Salve Regina. Last season, the Bears went 12-10-3 and lost to RIT in the ECAC West tournament.
- The Crusaders are coming off a 19-4-3 campaign in 2011-2012 and a runner-up finish in the ECAC East tournament, having won the final the previous three years. The team graduated four seniors, including its leading scorer and Crusader of the Year Stacey Hochkins, but welcomes three newcomers. Holy Cross will be led by senior captain Caroline English (Dorchester, Mass.) and senior assistant captains Rebecca O'Quinn (Arlington, Mass.) and Alyssa Ruhland (Minneapolis, Minn.) and junior assistant captain Amanda Gallagher (Park Ridge, Ill.).
- Along with English, O'Quinn and Ruhland, two other members of the class of 2013 will be playing their final season for the Crusaders. Alex Campione (Townsend, Mass.) and Meghan Reynolds (Marion, Mass.) will look to add their experience to the 2012-2013 squad.
- Head coach Peter Van Buskirk will be in his 13th season behind the Crusader bench. He has accumulated a career record of 180-111-20 over the previous 12 seasons. The team will look to continue its recent success, as last year's graduating class set a new program record for most wins over a four-year span, totaling an overall mark of 80-19-7.