Women's Ice Hockey To Play Three Games This Week
Overall: 9-4-1 (4-3-1 ECAC East)
Schedule: Tuesday, Jan. 15 at Colby, Waterville, Maine, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 18 vs. Castleton State, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 19 vs. New England College, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 4, Sacred Heart 0, Rutland Herald Invitational, Rutland, Vt., 1/11
Holy Cross 4, Castleton State 3, Rutland Herald Invitational, Rutland, Vt., 1/12
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team will play three games this week beginning tonight, Jan. 15, on the road at Colby at 7:00 p.m. The team will then return to the Hart Center for the first time in 2013 to face off against Castleton State on Friday, Jan. 18, at 1:00 p.m. and New England College on Saturday, Jan. 19, at 1:00 p.m.
- Colby is currently 5-8 on the season and is coming off a series split on the road last weekend (1/11-1/12) at Connecticut College. The Mules are led by junior Samantha Slotnick who has a team-high five goals and eight points on the season. Junior goaltender Brianne Wheeler has seen the most action in the crease for Colby and holds a record of 5-8, making 341 saves for a .905 save percentage and 2.95 goals-against average.
- Castleton State stands at 7-5-1 overall and 4-2-1 in the ECAC East and is tied with Holy Cross in the conference standings with nine points. The Crusaders downed the Spartans in the final of the Rutland Herald Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 12, by a score of 4-3. The team will travel to New England College for a 7:00 p.m. slate tonight before heading to Worcester for the Friday matinee. Freshman Anna Daniels leads Castleton State with a team-high eight goals and joins senior Jade Werger and freshman Nicoline Jensen as the top point scorers on the season with 14. Sophomore netminder Paula Stephens holds an overall record of 6-4-1 with a .933 save percentage and 1.90 goals-against average.
- New England College is 5-4-4 (2-3-2 ECAC East) on the season and is coming off a tie with Stevenson, 2-2, on Jan. 11. The Pilgrims will host Castleton State tonight at 7:00 p.m. before traveling to the Hart Center on Saturday. Sophomore Madyson Moore leads the team statistically with 11 points on four goals and seven assists. Freshman Rachel Vigliano has a team-high six goals on the year. Sophomore Lauren Hopps has made 267 saves in 11 games for a .924 save percentage and 1.96 goals-against average.
- The Crusaders are coming off a 4-3 victory over Castleton State in the championship game of the Rutland Herald Invitational on Jan. 12. The team defeated Sacred Heart in round one (1/11), 4-0. Sophomore goaltender Krista Manzanares (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) earned the victory in both games and was named tournament Most Valuable Player. She is now 6-2-0 on the season with a 1.92 goals-against average. Manzanares was also named ECAC East Goalie of the Week and AT&T Crusader of the Week for her performances, making 22 saves in her second shutout of the season versus Sacred Heart and 25 saves in the tournament title game.
- Three other Crusaders were named to the Rutland Herald Invitational All-Tournament Team. Senior Caroline English (Dorchester, Mass.) and sophomore Rebecca Fleming (Newton, Mass.) earned two of the three forward spots and sophomore Francesca Panarelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.) made the team as a defenseman.
- English tallied one goal and four assists over the two-game tournament and now stands atop the statistical points category on the season with 14 (three goals, 11 assists). Fleming has totaled a team-high seven goals.
- The Crusaders have now netted four power play goals at home this season. Every time the Holy Cross women's hockey team scores a power play goal in the Hart Center money pledged will benefit PINK Revolution. PINK Revolution is an alliance of dedicated individuals with a unified commitment to those touched by breast cancer. Its mission is to support early detection and prevention strategies, fund clinical research advancements and promote survivorship programs in Central Mass. through its affiliation with the UMass Memorial Comprehensive Breast Center. For more information and to donate go here: http://www.powerplaypointsforpink.com/.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's hockey team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.