Schedule: Friday, Nov. 8 at Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Conn., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 9 vs. Salve Regina, Worcester, Mass., 2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team will begin its 2013-2014 campaign on Friday, Nov. 8, on the road at Sacred Heart at 7:00 p.m. The Crusaders will then host its home opener and first ECAC East conference game of the season on Saturday, Nov. 9, at the Hart Center at 2:00 p.m. against Salve Regina.
- The Pioneers have played four games already this season and will host Plymouth State this afternoon before welcoming the Crusaders on Friday. The team is 2-2 with win a pair of wins over Rhode Island and losses to Yale and St. Anselm. Salve Regina opened its season on Saturday, Nov. 2, with a 2-1 win over Neumann University at home.
- Last season the Crusaders faced Sacred Heart at the Rutland Herald Invitational, hosted by Castleton, and in the ECAC Open Tournament at the end of the year. Holy Cross won both games by scores of 4-0 and 4-1, respectively. Junior Mary Klimasewinski (Cochester, Conn.) led the list of returning players this season with a goal and an assist in each of the two games. Against league rival Salve Regina in 2012-2013, the teams split a home-and-home series on Nov. 2-3. The Crusaders lost at home, 3-1, before bouncing back on the road, winning 1-0.
- The Crusaders return 19 players from last year's team and welcome seven newcomers, including six freshmen and one transfer. The team will be led by senior captains Amanda Gallagher (Park Ridge, Ill.) and Emily Sullivan (Arlington, Mass.) and junior captain Francesca Panarelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.). The team is slated to play in 25 regular season games this season before hosting the ECAC East Tournament on February 22-23 at the Hart Center.
- Junior goalkeepers Krista Manzanares (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) and Alexandra Stevenson (Norwood, N.Y.) return in net for the Crusaders this season, having split the majority of time during the 2012-2013 campaign. Freshman Hildie Hoeschen (St. Paul, Minn.) also joins the goaltending staff.
- Seniors Devon Ball (Burlington, Ontario), Chelsea Caracciolo (Garden City, N.Y.), Gallagher, Emily Sullivan and Kylee Sullivan (Arlington, Mass.) will also look to lead the Crusaders to an ECAC Open Tournament championship in their final season.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's ice hockey team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.