Women's Ice Hockey Heads To Rutland Herald Invitational This Weekend
Scoreboard: Amherst 3, Holy Cross 1, Amherst, Mass., 01/04
Schedule: Friday, Jan. 10 at Rutland Herald Invitational vs. Slave Regina, Rutland, Vt., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 11 at Rutland Herald Invitational vs. Castleton State or University of New England, Rutland,Vt.,TBA
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team (6-5-0, 3-2-0 ECAC East) will return to the ice at the Rutland Herald Invitational hosted by Castleton State on Friday-Saturday, Jan. 10-11, in Rutland, Vt. The Crusaders will take on Salve Regina in the first round at 7:00 p.m. and face either Castleton State or University of New England in round two.
- Last year, the Crusaders won the Rutland Herald Invitational, beating Sacred Heart in convincing fashion in the first round 4-0 followed by a 4-3 win over the host Castleton State.
- Junior goaltender Krista Manzanares (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) won the tournament Most Valuable Player Award and junior Francesca Panarelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.) returns as one of three Holy Cross players to make the All-Tournament team in the 2012 Rutland Herald Invitational.
- Salve Regina currently stands at 6-3-2 overall and 2-3-0 in ECAC East action. They are coming off a 1-1 mark this past weekend. On Friday, Jan 6 the Seahawks tied with Colby 3-3 in overtime. On Sunday, Jan. 5 Salve Regina defeated Sacred Heart 7-1. Both games were on the road. Junior Taylor Shepherd leads the team with a total of 11 points (four goals and seven assists). She has posted three game winning goals this season. Freshman net minder Colleen Marcik has made 213 saves this season with a 5-1 mark starting eight out of the 10 games she has appeared in.
- Castleton State opens the 2014 part of the season on Tuesday, Jan. 7 as they host Potsdam State at 7:00 p.m. The Spartans maintain an overall record of 6-5-0 and are 3-2-0 in ECAC East play. Sophomore Nicoline Jensen leads the team with 17 points (nine goals and eight assists). Fellow teammate Anna Daniels is right behind her as she leads the team with 12 assists and three goals for 15 points. Junior goaltender Paula Stephens holds a 5-3 mark as she has earned 225 saves between the pipes with a 1.74 goals against average. She is one of the top net minders in the conference and holds a .938 save percentage.
- University of New England is back in action to open the second half of the season on Tuesday, Jan. 7 as they go up against Nichols at 8:10 p.m. The Nor'easters hold an overall record of 5-4-3 and are on a two game winning streak. Three different players all have a total of ten points. All of the goaltenders have split time in net. Sophomore Courtney Kendall has played in four games and holds a 3-0-1 mark. Sydney Helmbrecht has 158 saves which is the most between the goalies. Helmbrecht and Samantha Scobee both hold a 1-2-1 record between the pipes.
- Holy Cross opened the second half of the season against Amherst on Saturday, Jan. 4. They dropped the 3-1 contest against the Lord Jeffs in a non-conference matchup. Junior Rachel Miller (Jackson, Mich.) scored the lone goal for the Crusaders. It was Miller's fourth goal of the season. Junior Nicole Giannino (Bay Shore, N.Y.) earned the assist and it was her sixth thus far this season. Junior Alexandra Stevenson (Norwood, N.Y.) made 21 saves between the pipes but suffered the loss and holds a record of 4-2-0. Stevenson had 10 saves in the second period.
- Sixteen different Holy Cross players have posted at least one point through the first half of the season.
- Freshmen Rose Rather (Stamford, Conn.) and Izzy Bagi (Branford, Conn.) have made a positive impact on the team thus far, racking up a total of 16 points. Rather has six goals and five assists and Bagi has three goals and two assists. Giannino leads the team in assists with a total of six. Miller and Giannino both have four goals thus far this season.
- Stevenson and Manzanares have split time in net. Manzanares has earned two shutouts and holds a 2-3 mark. They combine for 157 saves thus far this season through 11 games.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's ice hockey team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.