Scoreboard: Holy Cross 5, Nichols 0, Worcester, Mass., 02/14
Holy Cross 3, Manhattanville 2, Worcester, Mass., 02/15
Schedule: Saturday, Feb. 22 vs. Sacred Heart, ECAC Open Tournament, Worcester, Mass., 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 23 vs. TBA, ECAC Open Tournament, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m. or 5:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team (17-7-1, 11-4-1 ECAC East) will host the 2014 ECAC East Open Tournament this year on Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 22-23. Four teams will participate in the tournament including Holy Cross, Sacred Heart, Saint Anselm and Saint Michael's. The semifinal games are on Saturday with No. 1 Saint Anselm taking on No. 4 Saint Michael's at 1:00 p.m. and No. 2 Holy Cross facing off against No. 3 Sacred Heart at 5:00 p.m. The consolation game will take place on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. while the championship game will be at 5:00 p.m.
- Sacred Heart 3-14-6 went 0-1-1 last weekend in a two-game series against Franklin Pierce. On Friday (02/14) the Pioneers loss 4-1 and the following day (02/15) tied 1-1 in overtime. This will be the third match-up of the season between the two teams and the Crusaders have won the previous two games. Junior Casey Stathopoulos leads the team with 16 points (seven goals, nine assists). All four Pioneer net minders have seen action between the pipes. Senior goaltender Alexius Schutt is 2-7-5 in in the 16 games she has played in. Schutt has a .924 save percentage.
- Saint Anselm (22-3-0, 14-2-0 ECAC East) went 3-0 last week with wins over Franklin Pierce, Southern Maine and Plymouth State. The 3-1 win over Franklin Pierce (02/11) came at home while the 3-0 win against Southern Maine and 4-3 victory over Plymouth State were both on the road. This season will be the third time the Crusaders and Hawks will go head-to-head as Saint Anselm has defeated Holy Cross twice. Last year the two teams met in the Championship game of the ECAC Open Tournament and the Holy Cross fell short in overtime by a score of a 4-3. The Hawks have five players with at least 20 points thus far this season. Senior Courtney Winters leads the team with a total of 28 points (10 goals and 18 assists) with one game-winning goal. Alex Kazmer (25), Alison Quinn (24), Tiffany Herron (23) and Sarah Geisinger (20) round out the top five. The goaltenders have split time in net. Junior Lindsey Brown has played in 15 games with a 11-3-0 record and adds three shut-outs on the year. Freshman Hannah Synott has played in 14 games during the seasons and stands undefeated on the year with an 11-0-0 mark with two shut-outs on the season.
- Saint Michael's 3-18-3 overall and 2-12-2 in conference action went 1-2 last week. The team fell short on the road at Conn. College (02/11) by a score of 4-2. The Purple Knights suffered a 3-0 loss at Castleton State (02/14) but earned the 4-3 win over New England College (02/15). Senior Macey Thomas leads the team with 13 points (seven goals and six assists) and adds one game-winning goal. Junior Fernanda Saavedra is not far behind with 11 points in the 21 games she has played in. All four goalies for the Purple Knights have seen action on the ice.
- Holy Cross went 2-0 last weekend with wins over Nichols and Manhattanville at the Hart Center to close out the 2013-2014 regular season. Junior goaltender Alexandra Stevenson (Norwood, N.Y.) earned her third shutout of the season as Holy Cross defeated Nichols on "Pink the Rink" night (02/04) at the Hart Center by a score of 5-0 as she posted 11 saves in the game. Junior Nicole Giannino (Bay Shore, N.Y.) led the way for the Crusaders with two goals. Three of the five goals were scored in the second period. Holy Cross defeated Manhattanville on a late surge in the third period by a score of 3-2 (02/15) on senior day. Senior Kyle Sullivan (Arlington, Mass.) scored the game tying goal. Freshman Izzy Bagi (Branford, Conn.) posted a two point performance with one goal and one assist. Junior net minder Krista Manzanares (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) earned the win between the pipes as she made a total of 14 saves.
- The Crusaders are 9-2-0 at the Hart Center and 7-5-1 on the road this season. Holy Cross is on a two-game winning streak.
- Giannino leads the team with a total of 25 points (12 goals and 13 assists) and three game-winning goals. Fellow junior teammate Rachel Miller (Jackson, Mich.) is second on the team with 18 total points. Bagi leads all HC freshman with 15 points through 25 games (four goals and 11 assists) and one game winning goal.
- After the win over Manhattanville, senior Kylee Sullivan was named the MVP.
- Stevenson earned her third shutout of the season in the 5-0 win over Nichols on Friday night (02/14) and now holds a 9-3-1 overall record. In the 13 games played in Stevenson has allowed 18 goals and has a GAA of 1.44 and save percentage of 9.21. Manzanares is 8-4-0 on the season and has posted a .916 save percentage and 1.44 goals-against average in 13 games. She was named ECAC East Women's Ice Hockey Goalie of the Week twice this season.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's ice hockey team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.