August 23, 2011
Women's Soccer Set To Kick Off 2011 Slate
Schedule: Thursday, Aug. 25 vs. Hartford, Worcester, Mass., 7:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's soccer team kicks off the 2011 season on Thursday, August 25 against Hartford at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium at 7:00 p.m. The Crusaders hold an all-time record of 1-9 against the Hawks, last meeting up with Hartford in 2007. The Crusaders' last win against the Hawks was a 1-0 victory on Sept. 18, 1986 in Worcester.
- Hartford opened its season on the road on August 19 with a 1-1 draw against Old Dominion in Norfolk, Va. The Hawks finished the 2010 season with a 7-9-3 overall record. The squad returns seven starters and welcomes six newcomers to its lineup.
- The Crusaders return 21 players from last year's squad and welcome six newcomers to the team. With the loss of standout Shelby Stand to graduation, Holy Cross will be looking to fifth-year senior Lauren Wright (Biglerville, Pa.) and junior Maura Fox (Shrewsbury, Mass.) to become catalysts of the offensive attack. Wright is the most experienced goal scorer on the team with 10 goals and three assists over her career. Fox was second in points on the 2010 team with three goals and one assist. Wright and Fox along with senior Michaela Morgan (Centerville, Ohio) and junior Maggie McGoldrick (Cohasset, Mass.) will serve as team captains for the 2011 season.
- Holy Cross was selected to finish eighth in the 2011 Patriot League preseason poll as voted on by head coaches and sports information directors from around the league. The winner of last year's regular season, Army, was picked to finish first. The Crusaders finished the 2010 season eighth in the Patriot League with a record of 0-6-1.
- A year ago, Holy Cross wrapped up the season with an overall record of 3-12-2. Third-year head coach Darren Gallagher enters the 2011 campaign with a 10-21-5 overall record at the helm of Crusader women's soccer.