Women's Soccer Falls To Quinnipiac, 1-0

Danielle Wasserman

WORCESTER, Mass. –The Holy Cross women's soccer team lost a hard fought 1-0 game versus Quinnipiac on Sunday afternoon at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium. Bobcat junior Kemesha Woodfine netted the lone goal for Quinnipiac off a corner kick by Paula Kennedy. With the loss, the Crusaders move 1-2-1 on the season while the Bobcats improve to 3-0-0.

Play went back-and-forth in the middle of the field for most of the first half, with the first shot on goal for either team coming at the 26:20 mark when Woodfine corralled the ball and snuck it low past Crusader senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Angell (Raleigh, N.C.), who got a piece of it but was unable to keep it from crossing the goal line. The Crusaders had two solid scoring chances in the first half but were unable to capitalize. The first was when sophomore Gina Righini (Salem, N.H.) made a nice tough pass to freshman Mell Duarte (Carle Place, N.Y.) at the 18-yard line and pitched the ball to a streaking Cassie Muzik (Massapequa, N.Y) who headed the ball just wide on the far side. Senior Maura Fox (Shrewsbury, Mass.) also took a free kick from 35 yards out and put it just over the crossbar with 2:24 remaining in the half.

The Crusaders turned up the intensity in the second half, putting four shots on goal as compared to the Bobcats' three. Holy Cross had two excellent chances to tie the game when Fox hit a streaking Muzik on the far side, but Quinnipiac goalkeeper Jill Kelley came out of her net to make the stop. Just 20 seconds later, at the 56:19 mark, freshman Megan Greineder (East Greenwich, R.I.) struck the ball on net from just outside the six yardline but Kelley was up to the challenge once again.

Quinnipiac nearly doubled its lead with 18:07 remaining when Christina Cesarini shot a rebound past Angell, but senior Danielle Wasserman (Boulder, Colo.) was there to make the kick save and keep the Crusaders close. Holy Cross kept the pressure on but was unable to get on the board.

Both teams took 10 shots on the afternoon, but the Bobcats won the shots-on-goal battle, 6-4. Angell made four saves while allowing one goal and moves to 1-1 on the season. Kelley is now 3-0.

Holy Cross will return to the pitch on Tuesday, Sept. 4, traveling to take on Rhode Island at 7:00 p.m.