Women’s Soccer Loses Heartbreaker To Army 2-1

Annie Galvin

WORCESTER, Mass. – Army senior midfielder Joey Molacek drove home the game-winning goal with five seconds left in the second overtime to lead the Black Knights to a 2-1 triumph over Holy Cross in Patriot League women's soccer action on Wednesday evening at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 2-10-4 overall and 2-5-0 in the conference, while Army improves to 6-7-3 on the season and 2-3-2 in the Patriot League.

After 37 minutes of scoreless action, Holy Cross netted the first goal of the game in the 38th minute. Crusader sophomore forward Annie Galvin (Attleboro, Mass.) collected a loose ball in the left side of the box and ripped a shot past Army goalkeeper Jordan Cassalia, to put Holy Cross ahead 1-0. The Black Knights upped their intensity to close out the first half, as they outshot the Crusaders 5-0 over the final seven minutes, but could not find the back of the net.

In the second half, Army had a chance to score in the 58th minute, but Holy Cross junior goalkeeper Carly McCabe (Barrington, R.I.) made the clutch save. Holy Cross freshman forward Courtney Cohen (Lake Grove, N.Y.) had a chance to score in the 61st minute, as she launched a shot from the left side of the box, but it was guided away by Cassalia. The Black Knights knotted the score at 1-1 in the 81st minute, as Molacek drove a shot from the top of the box that was deflected by a Holy Cross defender and over the head of McCabe.

In first overtime, Army had a chance to score in the waning seconds, but McCabe made a highlight-reel save. With less than 10 seconds on the clock, Army midfielder Kimberly An redirected a cross on net and McCabe made the initial stop. The ball, however, jumped into the air and McCabe flailed her legs out to gather the ball and prevent the goal.

Molacek's double overtime game-winner came off a corner kick at the 109:38 mark of the contest. The ball was loose inside the box, but An was able to gather it and make a pass to Molacek, who sent home the clinching goal from 12 yards out and with five seconds on the clock.

Cassalia made four saves in the winning effort, while McCabe played well and pushed aside nine shots on net. The Black Knights held advantages in shots (26-7), shots on goal (11-5) and corner kicks (10-2).

Holy Cross returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 26, when it will travel to Lewisburg, Pa. to take on Bucknell at 12:00 p.m.