Overall Record: 0-0 (0-0 PL), Last Week: 0-0
Schedule: Sunday, March 4 vs. Detroit, Kissimmee, Fla., 9:00 a.m.
Sunday, March 4 vs. Sacred Heart, Kissimmee, Fla., 11:00 a.m.
Monday, March 5 vs. South Dakota, Kissimmee, Fla., 3:00 p.m.
Monday, March 5 vs. Indiana State, Kissimmee, Fla., 5:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will open the 2012 season at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla. with 12 games against 11 different teams beginning with Detroit and Sacred Heart on Sunday, March 4. Detroit began the spring season back on Feb. 10 and has a record of 1-5, winning its last game out versus Evansville, 4-3. Sacred Heart opened its season on Feb. 24 playing five games at the Chanticleer Classic at Coastal Carolina, beginning the year 0-5.
- On Monday, March 5 the Crusaders will play another doubleheader against South Dakota (3:00 p.m.) and Indiana State (5:00 p.m.). South Dakota began its season on Feb. 10 and has a current record of 1-8. Going into the game versus Holy Cross, the Coyotes will have played six games at the Rebel Spring Games including two against Patriot League rival Lehigh. Indiana State began on Feb. 25 and holds a record of 1-3. The Sycamores will play three games prior to facing the Crusaders including one game Lehigh and one against South Dakota.
- At last year's Rebel Spring Games, the Crusaders were scheduled to play 12 games but due to rain ended up playing 10 against 10 different opponents, going 4-6 over the seven day tournament. Graduate Caitlin Belanger was named Patriot League Softball Player of the Week for her performance in the opening two games of the tournament, going four-for-seven at the plate with a batting average of .571. Sophomore Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) won Patriot League Softball Rookie of the Week earning two wins and recording one save in the tournament, including a five inning 8-0 shutout over Manhattan. Her save came with three innings of no-hit relief action in a 6-3 win over Wagner. Barrett returned from the trip with a 0.93 ERA in 15 innings of work. The Crusaders recorded wins over LaSalle, Wagner, Manhattan and Yale.
- The Crusaders were selected to finish fourth in the Patriot League preseason poll. The team is coming of a season in which they made the Patriot League Tournament for the first time since 2003, going 10-10 in the conference play. With head coach Brian Claypool entering his fifth season at the helm, the Crusaders have improved their record both overall and in the conference every season, culminating in last year's tournament appearance. The team will look to continue the upward trend in 2012.
- Holy Cross will be led by tri-captains including seniors Gwen Reimer (Pottsville, Pa.) and Camille Trainor (Worcester, Mass.) and junior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.). They have played in a combined 345 games with 308 starts throughout their careers. Fregenti was named to the All-Patriot League first team last season, Reimer was named to the All-Patriot League second team and both Fregenti and Trainor were named to the Patriot League All-Tournament team.
- There are 12 letterwinners returning to this year's squad including five starters that combined for 214 starts in 2011. Last year's 18 overall wins was the most in one season since 1999 when the Crusaders posted 24 before falling in the Patriot League championship. The Crusaders also welcome six newcomers who will look to make an immediate impact on this relatively young team.