Overall Record: 4-22 (1-7 PL), Last Week: 1-3
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 5, Lafayette 4, Worcester, Mass., 4/7
Lafayette 3, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 4/7
Lafayette 2, Holy Cross 1, Eight Innings, Worcester, Mass., 4/8
Lafayette 7, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 4/8
Schedule: Thursday, April 12 vs. Hartford (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3:00/5:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 14 vs. Lehigh (DH), Worcester, Mass., 12:00/2:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 15 vs. Lehigh (DH), Worcester, Mass., 12:00/2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will continue its 12-game home stand this week with doubleheaders against Hartford and Lehigh. Hartford comes to Worcester on Thursday, April 12, for a twin bill beginning at 3:00 p.m. and conference foe Lehigh will be in town on Saturday and Sunday, April 14-15, for a four-game series. The two doubleheaders with the Mountain Hawks are both set to begin at 12:00 p.m.
- Last season, the Crusaders traveled to West Hartford, Conn. to play the Hartford Hawks in the final game of the 2011 regular season. Hartford put up seven runs on eight hits in the second inning and added five more runs during the game to down the Crusaders by a score of 12-7. Graduate Erin Fleming led the offense for Holy Cross going three-for-four with two RBI and senior Nicole Ortiz (Whittier, Calif.) went three-for-three with a run scored and one RBI.
- The Crusaders also traveled to Bethlehem, Pa. last season to wrap-up conference play, falling to the Mountain Hawks in three of four games. The teams split the doubleheader on Saturday (4/30) with Holy Cross losing game one 3-0 and winning game two 1-0. Lehigh took both games on day two of action by scores of 5-4 and 8-5. Senior Camille Trainor (Worcester, Mass.) tallied three hits in scored two runs in the series while senior Gwen Reimer (Pottsville, Pa.) went two-for-six with two runs and junior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) went three-for-six with one run and two RBI in games three and four. The No. 3 seeded Crusaders also faced the No. 2 seeded Mountain Hawks in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament last season, falling by a score of 6-4. Fregenti had a home run in the game and Reimer went two-for-three with run scored. Sophomore Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) went one-for-three with an RBI.
- Hartford has a current record of 4-27 (0-9 America East) but has lost 18 straight games dating back to March 18 when the team beat Colgate. The Hawks will host Fairfield in a doubleheader on Tuesday, April 10, before traveling to Worcester. Senior Shannon Simpkins leads the team with a .300 batting average on 12 hits in 40 at-bats. Sophomore Amber Andrews has the most at-bats (93) and hits (21) on the team for a .226 batting average. As a whole, the Hawks have a team batting average of .203 with 156 hits in 31 games have scored a total of 75 runs.
- Lehigh sits atop the Patriot League standings with an 8-0 conference record and 24-14 record overall. The Mountain Hawks will travel to Hofstra for a mid-week doubleheader on Wednesday, April 11, before coming to Worcester. The team swept Lafayette (3/31-4/1) and Bucknell (4/7-4/8) to open conference play. Senior Julie Fernandez leads the team with a .439 average on 50 hits in 114 at-bats. Senior Jennifer Colquhoun is a close second, batting .425, with 51 hits in 120 at-bats, including a team high 12 home runs this season. Freshman pitcher Emily Bausher has an 11-8 record in 20 appearances and has a current earned run average of 1.42 with 131 strike outs in 113.1 innings pitched. Junior Rebecca Bliss has a 10-5 record with a 1.95 ERA.
- Sophomore Kelliner Croushore (Claremont, Calif.) leads the Crusaders with a .317 batting average and team-high current hit streak of seven games. Ortiz has reached base safely in each of the last eight games to tie Reimer, who reached the mark earlier this season, for the team lead in that category. Fregenti knocked her team-high third home run of the season out of the park in Saturday's second game versus Lafayette.