Softball Set For Doubleheader At Pennsylvania
Overall: 6-8 (0-0 Patriot League); Last Week: 3-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 5, Yale 1, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/15
Providence 11, Holy Cross 7, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/15
Holy Cross 13, Yale 6, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/16
Holy Cross 6, Manhattan 5, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/17
Holy Cross vs. Providence, Cancelled, 3/17
Schedule: Saturday, March 23 at Pennsylvania (DH), Philadelphia, Penn., 1:00 p.m./3:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will play its first true road games of the season this week, after opening the 2013 campaign on neutral sites at the Rebel Spring Games and Stony Brook Invitational. The Crusaders will travel to take on Pennsylvania on Saturday in a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m.
- Penn is 6-10 overall on the season and defeated the Crusaders on March 4 at the Rebel Spring Games, 12-4. The Quakers are coming off a sweep of Patriot League member Lafayette on Friday, March 15, and will host Lehigh for a twin bill on Wednesday, March 20, before Holy Cross comes to town. Senior Brook Coloma leads the team with a .394 batting average with 12 hits in 37 at-bats. Freshman Korinne Raby has a team-high four home runs this season. In the circle, sophomore Alexis Borden has a 1.91 earned run average and has struck out 57 hitters in 55 innings. Her record stands at 3-6.
- Holy Cross went 3-1 last week at the Stony Brook Invitational, defeating Yale twice and Manhattan. The team fell to Providence and its second game versus the Friars was cancelled due to the weather. Senior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) led the team with a .538 batting average, going seven-for-13 with six runs batted in. Fregenti was named AT&T Crusader of the Week for her performance.
- Freshman Emily Jarvis (Hopkinton, Mass.) is off to a hot start in first 14 collegiate contests. She hit her team-high third home run of the season in walk-off fashion to give the Crusaders the 6-5 victory over Manhattan (3/17). Jarvis sits atop the Patriot League rankings in home runs, batting average (.429), on-base percentage (.520), slugging percentage (.762) and total bases (32) and is second in runs scored (17) and stolen bases (7).
- Holy Cross represents three of the top five Patriot League leaders in batting average. Junior Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) sits behind Jarvis in third at .405 and freshman Sarah Kane (Jacksonville, Fla.) is fifth at .389.
- Freshman pitcher Gennifer Durham (Abbeville, S.C.) leads the team with a record of 4-2 on the season after picking up two wins against Yale at the Stony Brook Invitational. She has made seven starts and eight appearances for 41 and two-thirds innings of work. Junior Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) has made nine appearances (five starts) for 33 and two-thirds innings and leads the team with two saves and 22 strike outs.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross softball team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.