Softball To Open Patriot League Play This Weekend
Overall: 6-10 (0-0 Patriot League); Last Week: 0-2
Scoreboard: Pennsylvania 5, Holy Cross 1, Philadelphia, Pa., 3/23
Pennsylvania 8, Holy Cross 0, Philadelphia, Pa., 3/23
Schedule: Wednesday, March 27 at Central Connecticut (DH), New Britain, Conn., 3:00 p.m./5:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 30 at Lafayette (DH), Easton, Pa., 12:00 p.m./2:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 31 at Lafayette (DH), Easton, Pa., 12:00 p.m./2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will play a non-conference doubleheader versus Central Connecticut on Wednesday, March 27, before opening up Patriot League conference play this weekend with a pair of twin bills at Lafayette on Saturday and Sunday, March 30-31. The Crusaders will start action against the Blue Devils at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday and both doubleheaders against the Leopards will begin at 12:00 p.m.
- Central Connecticut is currently 12-9 on the season and has rattled off four straight wins with two two-game series sweeps against Wagner and LIU Brooklyn. Sophomore Kat Malcolm leads the team with a .403 batting average in 21 games, including 29 hits and four home runs. In the circle, sophomore Laura Messina has seen the most action, registering 83 and one-third innings in 13 starts. She is 8-5 on the year with a 1.93 earned run average and has struck out 69 batters.
- Lafayette is 4-11 on the season and is scheduled to play Mount St. Mary's on Wednesday before hosting the Crusaders this weekend. Senior Madeline Allen leads the Leopards with a .333 batting average in 14 games. Junior Melissa Robinson has pitched 59 and two-thirds innings, posting a record of 3-7 while striking out 29 batters.
- Holy Cross is currently second in the Patriot League in team batting average (.298) behind only Army (.312). The Crusaders lead the league with an average of 1.81 steals per game, swiping 29 bases in 16 contests this season.
- Junior Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) leads the team with a .385 batting average in 14 games this season. Freshmen Sarah Kane (Jacksonville, Fla.) and Emily Jarvis (Hopkinton, Mass.) sit behind Gustafson with batting averages of .381 and .375, respectively. The three Crusaders are fourth, fifth and sixth among Patriot League batting average leaders with a minimum of 2.0 at-bats per game on the season. Senior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) has posted a .500 batting average in eight games this year. Jarvis is tied for the league lead in home runs with three.
- Freshman pitcher Gennifer Durham (Abbeville, S.C.) leads the team with a record of 4-3 on the season with 46 and two-thirds innings pitched in eight starts and nine appearances. Junior Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) leads the team with two saves.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross softball team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.