Women's Tennis Wraps Up Fall Season With 4-3 Win Over Hartford
HARTFORD, Conn. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team won its second-straight 4-3 decision, winning four of the six singles matches against Hartford at the Hartford Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders extend their win-streak to five matches and wrap up the fall season at 7-1 while Hartford falls to 1-3.
Hartford took two of the three doubles matches for the doubles point. Senior Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) and junior Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) won the No. 3 match, however, tallying their ninth win together this season by a score of 8-3. Rudnik then battled hard for a straight set win at No. 6 singles, winning by the 7-6, 11-9 final. Two other Holy Cross winners had their matches go to three sets as freshman Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) won the No. 2 match, 1-6, 6-2, 6-2. Senior Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) then won the No. 3 match 7-6, 5-7, 6-1. Fellow senior Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) rounded out the team's winning performances, taking a straight set match at No. 4 singles.
With today's win, Holy Cross has no concluded the fall schedule. The spring slate will be announced at a later date.
2. Ashley Harel/Haley Gileau (HART) def. Carolyn Chandley/Emily Marr (HC), 9-8 (7-4)
3. Jessica DeSimone/Emma Rudnik (HC) def. Christie Greenberg/Emily Willhoft (HART), 8-3
1. Liu (HART) def. Montgomery (HC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Stathis (HC) def. Harel (HART), 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Marr (HC) def. Zampas (HART), 7-6, 5-7, 6-1
4. Chandley (HC) def. Gileau (HART), 6-2, 6-1
5. Willhoft (HART) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Rudnik (HC) def. Greenberg (HART), 7-6, 11-9