WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team combined two win five of the six singles matches and two of the three doubles matches to defeat inner-city opponent Clark, 7-2, at the Corash Courts. With the decision, the Crusaders finish the regular season with a record of 11-4 while the Cougars go to 0-9. The 11 regular season wins are the most since the team went 10-8 over the 2008-2009 season.
Holy Cross won the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches by the exact same 8-0 score to earn two points in the doubles action. Seniors Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) won the No. 2 match while senior Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) and junior Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) won the No. 3 set. Marr, Chandley and DeSimone also won their singles matches for three more Crusader points. Marr won 12 straight games to win 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 3 match while Chandley tallied a 6-0, 6-2 victory at No. 4 DeSimone won the No. 6 contest, 6-0, 6-4, while sophomores Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) and Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) completed the day's efforts with victories at No. 2 and No. 5 singles.
Holy Cross competes in the 2012 Patriot League Championship this upcoming weekend. The Crusaders will compete as the No. 7 seed and will play in the quarterfinals against No. 2 seed Army on Friday, April 20. Match time is set for 3:00 p.m. The tournament is hosted by Lehigh as all matches will be held in Bethlehem, Pa.
1. Suriano/Sachs (CU) def. Stathis/Montgomery (HC), 9-6
2. Marr/Chandley (HC) def. Cooke/M. Ziemer (CU), 8-0
3. Rudnik/DeSimone (HC) def. Burberry-Martin/L. Ziemer (CU), 8-0
1. Gaby Surian (CU) def. Taylor Stathis (HC) def. (CU), 7-5, 6-0
2. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Sarah Sachs (CU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Emily Marr (HC) def. Ginny Cooke (CU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Carolyn Chandley (HC) def. Martha Ziemer (CU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Maya Welch (HC) def. Rose Burnerry-Martin (CU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Jessica DeSimone (HC) def. Lauren Ziemer (CU), 6-0, 6-4