SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team lost its second match in a row as they fell to Bryant, 7-0, on Monday at the Bryant Tennis Complex. With the setback, the Crusaders slip to 2-2 on the season, while the Bulldogs improve to 2-1.
Crusaders junior Katie McKenna (Longmeadow, Mass.) played a close match at No. 6 singles against Lyan Juarbe. McKenna would go three sets in the match, but she lost the extended third set (6-4, 4-6, 10-4). McKenna also teamed with freshman Cassy Deng (Eden Prairie, Minn.) in third doubles against Irma Lockwood and Jovanna Hadzi-Tanovic and lost a hard-fought 8-5 match.
Holy Cross junior Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) lost her No. 2 singles match, 6-1, 6-2, versus Devlin-Ann Ammendola, while Crusaders senior No. 5 singles player Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) lost her match by an identical score against Lockwood.
The Crusaders will play their next match on Wednesday, October 3 as they host Stonehill at 3:30 p.m. at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
BRYANT 7, HOLY CROSS 0
2. Marcela Brandao / Devlin-Ann Ammendola (B) d. Abby Henry / Jessica DeSimone (HC) 8-1
3. Irma Lockwood / Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (B) d. Cassy Deng / Katie McKenna (HC) 8-5
1. Stephanie Smyers (B) d. Jaclyn Carroll (HC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Devlin-Ann Ammendola (B) d. Maya Welch (HC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Lucy Bird (B) d. Abby Henry (HC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (B) d. Cassy Deng (HC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Irma Lockwood (B) d. Jessica DeSimone (HC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Lyan Juarbe (B) d. Katie McKenna (HC) 6-4, 4-6, 10-4