Holy Cross Volleyball To Play At First-Place Army On October 31
Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 4-20 (2-7 PL); Last Week: 1-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Bucknell 1, Worcester, Mass., 10/23
Colgate 3, Holy Cross 0, Worcester, Mass., 10/24
Schedule: Saturday, Oct. 31 at Army, West Point, N.Y., 5:00 p.m.
- After playing six of their last seven matches at the Holy Cross Field House, the Crusaders will hit the road for three straight matches, starting this week when they play a Patriot League contest at first-place Army on Saturday, Oct. 31 at 5:00 p.m. This matchup will feature two sensational freshmen as Army's Ariana Mankus leads the Patriot League with 333 kills and 3.78 kills per set, while Holy Cross freshman Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) is second with 307 kills and 3.49 kills per set.
- Army is 21-3 overall and has a perfect 9-0 Patriot League
record. Last week, Army defeated second place Colgate, 3-2, and
defeated Bucknell, 3-1. The Crusaders are 1-9 versus Army over the
last 10 matches, including a 3-0 home loss this year on Oct. 10.
Holy Cross has lost eight straight against Army as the Crusaders'
last victory was a 3-2 home win on Nov. 12, 2005. Army leads the
Patriot League with a .234 hitting percentage, a .157 opponent
hitting percentage, 13.38 kills per set and 12.25 assists per set.
Mankus, who has been named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week
five times and the Patriot League Player of the Week once, leads
the conference with 333 kills and 3.78 kills per set. She is also
second with a .303 hitting percentage and is 10th with 2.67 digs
per set. Senior Maureen Bannon leads the league with 928 assists
and 10.55 assists per set, while she is first with 36 service aces
and 0.41 service aces per set. She has 3,961 career assists which
are fourth on the Patriot League all-time list.
- Last week, Lynch led the team with 38 kills and 5.43 kills per
set, while her 19 digs and 2.71 digs per set tied for first. She
tied her season best with 23 kills as the Crusaders defeated
Bucknell for the first time since Oct. 6, 2001. Lynch then recorded
her sixth double-double of the season versus Colgate with 15 kills
and 10 digs. She has posted double-digit kills 16 times this
season, including five matches with 20 or more kills. She is second
around the league with 307 kills and 3.49 kills per set. Her 307
kills rank eighth on the Holy Cross all-time single-season kills
- Last week, junior setter Chelsey O'Donnell (Pittsburgh,
Pa.) recorded 71 assists for a 10.1 assists per set
average. She tallied 28 assists and 10 digs versus Colgate giving
her eight double-doubles on the season and 19 for her career. She
now has 754 assists this season which are eighth on the Holy Cross
all-time single-season assists list and third on this season's
Patriot League leaders list.
- Sophomore Kathleen Colpoys (Scituate, Mass.)
has surpassed her totals from her freshman season. She is second on
the team with 173 kills and is first with 45 blocks, while she also
has 46 digs, 21 service aces and 10 assists. For the 2008 season,
she recorded 98 kills, 24 digs, 27 blocks, six service aces and
four assists. This season she leads the team with a .260 hitting
- Junior Angela Chisholm (Millis, Mass.) is tied
for second around the Patriot League with a career-best 311 digs.
She has posted double-digit digs 14 times this season, including
three times with over 20 digs.
- Freshman Callie Black (Fallon, Nev.) is having
a strong season at the net as she is second on the team with 44
blocks and 0.50 blocks per set. She has either led the team or tied
for the team-lead for blocks 12 times this season. She is also
fourth on the team with 122 kills.
- Senior Samantha Surface (Fresno, Calif.) ranks
third on the team with 158 kills and 1.88 kills per set, while she
is fourth with a career-best 172 digs. For her career she has 643
kills and 470 digs.
- Junior Rebecca DeSanti (Hampden, Mass.) had an
impressive match versus Bucknell as she recorded eight kills on 14
attempts with no errors for a .571 hitting percentage. She has
already surpassed her best single-season statistics with 91 kills
and 27 digs. Last season, she had 68 kills and 21 digs. For her
career, DeSanti has recorded 166 kills and 50 digs.
- Freshman Elizabeth Watters (San Francisco, Calif.) posted 16 digs and 2.29 digs per set last week which were third on the team. She also led the team with four service aces. For the season, she is fifth on the team with 164 digs and 1.91 digs per set.