Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 2-2 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 2-2
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Boston College 0, Worcester, Mass., 8/27
Holy Cross 3, Quinnipiac 0, Worcester, Mass., 8/27
Northeastern 3, Holy Cross 2, Worcester, Mass., 8/27
Fordham 3, Holy Cross 0, Chestnut Hill, Mass., 8/28
Schedule: Wednesday, Sept. 1 at Providence, Providence, R.I., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 4 vs. NJIT, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 4 at Marist, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 5 at Marist, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 12:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team, who is off to its best start since the 2001 season with a 2-2 record, will play four matches this week. The Crusaders will play at Providence (0-4 overall) on Sept. 1, at 7:00 p.m., while they will then travel to Poughkeepsie, N.Y., to compete versus NJIT (1-1 overall) and Marist (1-3 overall). On Sept. 4, Holy Cross will take on NJIT in a neutral site match at 3:00 p.m. and then play Marist at 7:00 p.m., while they will meet Marist again on Sept. 5 at noon.
- The Crusaders went 2-2 at the Beanpot Classic which was the Crusaders' best record at a regular season tournament since going 2-1 at the 2005 Yale Invitational. The win over Boston College was the first since a 3-1 victory on Sept. 6, 1991, as the Eagles had won 15 straight over the Crusaders entering the match on Friday. This tournament also saw Holy Cross win eight consecutive sets for the first time since the 2005 season also at the Yale Invitational.
- Senior setter Chelsey O'Donnell (Pittsburgh, Pa.) was named to the Beanpot Classic All-Tournament team as she was outstanding with 125 assists and 35 digs in the four matches. This was her fourth career All-Tournament selection as she also earned the honor at the 2008 and 2009 Beanpot Classics, and at the 2007 Wildcat Invitational. O'Donnell was also named the AT&T Crusader of the Week for her efforts. She averaged 12 assists per set in Holy Cross' first victory over Boston College in the last 16 meetings between the two schools. O'Donnell also recorded her 20th career double-double in the match versus Northeastern with 40 assists and 14 digs. For the week she led the team with seven service aces. For her career, O'Donnell now has 2,503 assists.
- Sophomore Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) was also outstanding as she led the Crusaders with 48 kills and 38 digs at the Beanpot Classic as she recorded two double-doubles and three double-digit kills performances. She now has nine career double-doubles and 23 career double-digit kills performances.
- Freshman Alex Aycock (Jonesboro, Ark.) had a very impressive debut as her 11 kills in the victory over Boston College were the most kills by a Holy Cross freshman in her collegiate debut since Sept. 2, 2003, when Valerie Mora recorded 13 kills versus Quinnipiac. She ranks third on the team with 25 kills.
- The Friars have won seven straight over the Crusaders. Holy Cross' last victory over Providence was a 3-1 win on Sept. 14, 2005. Last season, the Friars edged the Crusaders by a 3-2 score. Providence, who went 10-16 overall in 2009, started the 2010 season with losses to Kent State, Norfolk State, Navy and UNC Greensboro at the Norfolk State Tournament.
- Marist won the last meeting between these two teams with a 3-2 win on Sept. 18, 2004, and have won two straight in the series. The Crusaders' last victory over the Red Foxes came on Sept. 26, 2001, by a 3-1 score. Marist, who last year went 18-13 overall (11-7 MAAC), started off the 2010 season with losses to Louisiana-Lafayette, Sam Houston State and Eastern Michigan, and a win over Prairie View A&M at the Sam Houston Invitational.
- The Crusaders will meet NJIT for the first time in program history. Last year, NJIT went 17-11 overall (7-5 Great West Conference). This season, NJIT started with a loss to St. Francis (N.Y.) and a win over St. Peter's.