Volleyball Hits The Road To Play Navy And American
Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 7-12 (1-1 PL); Last Week: 2-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Central Connecticut 0, Worcester, Mass., 9/22
Holy Cross 3, Lafayette 0, Worcester, Mass., 9/24
Lehigh 3, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 9/25
Schedule: Friday, Oct. 1 at Navy, Annapolis, Md., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 2 at American, Washington, D.C., 2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team (7-12 overall, 1-1 Patriot League) will play two Patriot League matches this week on the road. The Crusaders will travel to Annapolis, Md., to play Navy (4-12 overall, 0-2 Patriot League) on Friday, Oct. 1, at 7:00 p.m., while on Saturday, Oct. 2, Holy Cross will play American (13-2 overall, 2-0 Patriot League) in Washington, D.C., at 2:00 p.m.
- Holy Cross swept Navy last season with two 3-0 victories. Before last season, the Mids had won four straight over the Crusaders. Holy Cross is 3-7 versus Navy in the last 10 matches between the two teams. The Crusaders are 0-19 all-time versus American. Last week Navy lost to Colgate, 3-1, and lost to Bucknell, 3-2, while American defeated Bucknell, 3-1, and defeated Colgate, 3-1.
- Holy Cross' seven wins are already the most since going 7-19 in 2005. With the win over Lafayette in the Patriot League opener it was the first time the Crusaders had ever begun the Patriot League season with a 1-0 record. Holy Cross, who is currently 1-1 in the Patriot League, has not had a 1-1 league record since the 2005 season. The Crusaders have never started a Patriot League season with a 2-1 record. Holy Cross had two huge wins last week as its win over Central Connecticut was its first since 2001 and the win over Lafayette was its first since 2004.
- The Crusaders are 5-3 at the Holy Cross Field House so far this season. Last season, Holy Cross went 3-8 in Worcester.
- Holy Cross leads the Patriot League in assists (707), kills (781), aces (98) and digs (1,052), while the Crusaders are second with a .168 hitting percentage.
- Sophomore Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) led the team with 43 kills as she averaged an outstanding 4.30 kills per set, while she was second on the team with 36 digs and 3.60 digs per set on the week. Lynch also recorded a double-double in all three matches. She averaged 4.00 kills and 3.33 digs per set in the win over Central Connecticut, while she then averaged an impressive 5.00 kills and 4.67 digs per set in Holy Cross' win over Lafayette. She has recorded double-digit kills in 16 of the 19 matches this season as she has either led or tied for the team-lead in kills in 17 matches. Lynch has 12 double-doubles this season and 19 for her career. Lynch leads the Patriot League with 252 kills and is third with 3.60 kills per set. She is second on the team with 216 digs as her 3.09 digs per set are 10th in the conference. For her career, Lynch has 623 kills and 449 digs.
- Senior setter Chelsey O'Donnell (Pittsburgh, Pa.) leads the Patriot League with 601 assists, while she is third with 8.59 assists per set. She has seven double-doubles this season and 26 for her career. O'Donnell's 66 kills so far this season are already a career best. O'Donnell is now 21 assists away from 3,000 for her career as she has 2,979 career assists. She also now has 100 career aces and 773 career digs.
- Freshman Alex Aycock (Jonesboro, Ark.) was second on the team with 2.75 kills per set and was third with 3.50 digs per set for the week. She recorded her first collegiate double-double with 11 kills and a season-best 13 digs in the victory over Central Connecticut, while she averaged an outstanding 4.50 digs per set versus Lehigh. Her 1.87 kills per set this season are third on the team, while her 1.51 digs per set are fifth.
- Junior Kathleen Colpoys (Scituate, Mass.) leads the team and is ranked third in the Patriot League with a .284 hitting percentage. She also leads the team with 31 total blocks and is second on the team with 131 kills.
- Senior Angela Chisholm (Millis, Mass.) has 947 career digs which are ranked fifth all-time at Holy Cross. So far this season she leads the team with 234 digs and 3.34 digs per set. She is ranked first in the Patriot League in digs and is fifth in digs per set. She has recorded double-digit digs in 12 matches this season.
- Sophomore Elizabeth Watters (San Francisco, Calif.) is third on the team with 202 digs and 2.89 digs per set. Her 202 digs are already a career best.
- Senior Rebecca DeSanti (Hampden, Mass.) is having a career season as her 116 kills, 77 digs and 16 aces are the best for her career. She is third on the team in kills. Sophomore Liz Ashton (Milford, Mass.) is also having her best season as she is second on the team with 27 total blocks. Also her 1.25 kills per set are fifth.