Crusaders To Play Bryant & Army
Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 8-13 (2-2 PL); Last Week: 1-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Navy 0, Annapolis, Md., 10/1
American 3, Holy Cross 0, Washington, D.C., 10/2
Schedule: Wednesday, Oct. 6 vs. Bryant, Worcester, Mass., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 9 at Army, West Point, N.Y., 4:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team (8-13 overall, 2-2 Patriot League) will play two matches this week. The Crusaders will take on Bryant (13-8 overall, 1-3 NEC) at the Holy Cross Field House on Wednesday, Oct. 6, at 7:00 p.m., while on Saturday, Oct. 9, Holy Cross will travel to West Point, N.Y., to play Patriot League opponent Army (10-9 overall, 3-1 Patriot League) at Gillis Field House at 4:00 p.m.
- The Crusaders lost to Bryant earlier this season by a 3-1 score at the Bryant Invitational on Sept. 11. Last season, Holy Cross defeated the Bulldogs twice, while in 2008 Bryant won both matches. Holy Cross has lost eight straight matches to Army, as the Crusaders last victory over the Black Knights was by a 3-2 score on Nov. 12, 2005.
- Holy Cross' eight wins are already its most since going 8-19 in 2002. The win over Navy gave the Crusaders their best ever start to a Patriot League season with a 2-1 record, while their current 2-2 record is their best record after four matches since the first ever Patriot League season in 1990 when they were also 2-2. The only time that Holy Cross has been 3-2 was also in 1990.
- The Crusaders are 5-3 at the Holy Cross Field House so far this season. Last season, Holy Cross went 3-8 in Worcester. Holy Cross is 2-4 on a neutral court and 1-6 on its opponent's home court.
- Holy Cross leads the Patriot League in kills (841) and digs (1,146), while the Crusaders are second in assists (763) and aces (108). Holy Cross' .164 hitting percentage is fourth.
- Senior setter Chelsey O'Donnell (Pittsburgh, Pa.) became only the second Crusader to record 3,000 career assists. She now has 3,033 career assists as Michelle Leahy (2001-2004) holds the all-time Holy Cross record with 3,177 career assists. O'Donnell leads the Patriot League with 655 assists, while she is third with 8.62 assists per set. She has seven double-doubles this season and 26 for her career. O'Donnell's 70 kills so far this season are already a career best. She has 104 career aces as her 24 this season leads the team, while she also has 788 career digs.
- Junior Kathleen Colpoys (Scituate, Mass.) leads the team and is ranked second in the Patriot League with a .285 hitting percentage. She also leads the team with 32 total blocks and is second on the team with 142 kills.
- Sophomore Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) leads the Patriot League with 273 kills and is third with 3.59 kills per set. She has recorded double-digit kills in 17 of the 21 matches this season as she has either led or tied for the team-lead in kills in 19 matches. Lynch has 13 double-doubles this season and 20 for her career. She is second on the team with a career-best 234 digs as her 3.08 digs per set are 10th in the conference. For her career, Lynch has 644 kills and 467 digs.
- Senior Angela Chisholm (Millis, Mass.) has 978 career digs which are ranked fifth all-time at Holy Cross. So far this season, she leads the team with 265 digs and 3.49 digs per set. She is ranked first in the Patriot League in digs and is fifth in digs per set. She has recorded double-digit digs in 14 matches this season.
- Senior Rebecca DeSanti (Hampden, Mass.) is having a career season as her 125 kills, 88 digs and 16 aces are the best for her career. She is third on the team in kills.