Holy Cross Volleyball
Schedule: Friday, Aug. 26 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, Worcester, Mass., 12:00 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 26 vs. Central Connecticut, Worcester, Mass., 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 27 at Northeastern, Boston, Mass., 11:00 a.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team kicks off the 2011 season when it co-hosts the Beanpot Classic with Northeastern. On Friday, Aug. 26, the Crusaders will play Fairleigh Dickinson (12:00 p.m.) and Central Connecticut (3:00 p.m.) at the Holy Cross Field House. These two home matches will be available to watch live or on demand on Crusader Vision. The package, done in association with Stretch Internet, is available for $5.95 per match. The video stream will be a single camera broadcast that will not include audio commentary. Go here for ordering information and to check the broadcast schedule as more matches are added.
- On Saturday, Aug. 27, the tournament moves to Solomon Court in Boston, Mass., as the Crusaders will meet the Huskies (11:00 a.m.). Go here for coverage of that contest.
- Holy Cross went 1-1 last season versus the teams in the Beanpot Classic as the Crusaders did not play Fairleigh Dickinson. Holy Cross fell to Northeastern by a score of 3-2 at last year's Beanpot Classic at the Holy Cross Field House on Aug. 27, while the Crusaders defeated Central Connecticut, 3-0, in Worcester on Sept. 22. That was the Crusaders' first win over Central Connecticut since a 3-2 victory on Sept. 5, 2001, as CCSU had won nine straight in the series. Last season, Fairleigh Dickinson went 11-21 overall and 6-10 in the Northeast Conference as the Knights tied for sixth in the league. Central Connecticut went 11-18 overall and 8-8 in the Northeast Conference as CCSU placed fourth and qualified for the league tournament. Northeastern went 18-10 overall last year and had a 9-5 record in the Colonial Athletic Association. The Huskies earned the third seed in the league tournament and fell in the championship match.
- This is the fourth straight year that Holy Cross has competed in the Beanpot Classic and the third straight season the Crusaders have hosted the tournament. The Crusaders are 2-6 all-time in the Beanpot Classic as they went 2-2 last season with wins over Boston College and Quinnipiac, and losses versus Northeastern and Fordham. Holy Cross is 0-3 versus Northeastern in the previous three tournaments. Fordham won last year's tournament by going 4-0. Holy Cross' Chelsey O'Donnell was named to the All-Tournament team last season.
- Last season, the Crusaders went 12-21 overall and 4-10 in the Patriot League. They earned their most overall victories since 2000 and their most conference wins since 2004. Holy Cross returns seven players and adds eight freshmen. Listen to an audio interview here with coach Walker on the Patriot League's website.