Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 3-3 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 2-2
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Providence 2, Worcester, Mass., 8/31
Connecticut 3, Holy Cross 0, Storrs, Conn., 9/2
Binghamton 3, Holy Cross 1, Storrs, Conn., 9/3
Holy Cross 3, Howard 0, Storrs, Conn., 9/3
Schedule: Wednesday, Sept. 7 at Hartford, West Hartford, Conn., 6:00 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 9 vs. Harvard, Smithfield, R.I., 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 10 vs. Maryland-Eastern Shore, Smithfield, R.I., 10:00 a.m.
Saturday, Sept. 10 at Bryant, Smithfield, R.I., 7:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team, which went 2-2 last week and are 3-3 overall, will play four matches this week. On Wednesday, Sept. 7, the Crusaders will travel to West Hartford, Conn., to take on Hartford at 6:00 p.m. The Crusaders will then compete at the Bryant Invitational in Smithfield, R.I., on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 9-10. On Friday, Holy Cross will play Harvard (6:00 p.m.), while on Saturday the Crusaders will meet Maryland-Eastern Shore (10:00 a.m.) and tournament host Bryant (7:00 p.m.). Last week's win over the Friars was Holy Cross' first since Sept. 14, 2005, as Providence had won eight straight matches in the series. The Crusaders went 1-2 at the Connecticut Invitational as junior Callie Black (Fallon, Nev.) was named to the All-Tournament team as she tallied 20 kills, a .450 hitting percentage and seven blocks over the three matches. This is her first career regular season All-Tournament team honor.
- The Crusaders have lost four straight to Hartford including a five-set match last season. After the Hawks won the first two sets, Holy Cross then won two straight but fell in the fifth by a 15-13 score. The Hawks are 2-5 so far this season.
- Last season, the Crusaders defeated Harvard for the first time since the 1993 season as the Crimson had won 15 straight over the Crusaders. Harvard is 2-1 this season. Maryland-Eastern Shore is 1-3 this season. Holy Cross went 1-1 versus Bryant last season. The Bulldogs are 2-4.
- Junior Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) recorded a double-double in three of the four matches last week. She now has 32 career double-doubles. Lynch has 895 career kills which are already third all-time in school history. She has led the Crusaders in kills in all six matches this season. Junior Elizabeth Watters (San Francisco, Calif.) has earned double-digit digs in all six matches this season. She leads the team with 97 digs and has 621 for her career.
- Holy Cross leads the Patriot League with 2.09 blocks per set and is second with 16.14 digs per set. Black is second in the league with a .385 hitting percentage, while senior Kathleen Colpoys (Scituate, Mass.) is third with a .343. Black and Colpoys have also been strong on defense as they are each tied for second in the league with 1.00 blocks per set. Lynch is ranked second in the conference with 3.73 kills per set, while Watters is third in digs with 4.41 per set.
- First-year head coach Erin Walker is 3-3 to start her Holy Cross career. Her 3-3 record is the best start by a first-year Holy Cross coach since Al Morel started with a 3-3 record in 1984.