Crusaders To Play At Bryant & Then Host Army
Holy Cross Volleyball
Overall: 6-13 (2-2 PL); Last Week: 1-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Navy 0, Worcester, Mass., 9/30
American 3, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 10/1
Schedule: Wednesday, Oct. 5 at Bryant, Smithfield, R.I., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 8 vs. Army, Worcester, Mass., 2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross volleyball team, which went 1-1 last week and are 6-13 overall (2-2 Patriot League), will play at Bryant on Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 7:00 p.m. and will take on Patriot League opponent Army on Saturday, Oct. 8, at 2:00 p.m. at the Holy Cross Field House. Fans can watch the Bryant match by going to here and fans can watch the Army match by going here. The Crusaders were swept by Bryant earlier this season at the Bryant Invitational on Sept. 10. The Bulldogs are 7-12 overall and 2-3 in the Northeast Conference. Army is 12-5 so far this season and 3-1 in the Patriot League. The Black Knights have wins over Lehigh, Lafayette and Navy, while they lost in five sets to American. Holy Cross has lost 10 straight matches to Army but was just narrowly defeated in the last matchup by a 15-13 score in the fifth set on Oct. 30, 2010. The Crusaders' last win over the Black Knights was a 3-2 victory on Nov. 12, 2005 in Worcester.
- With her three blocks versus American, senior Kathleen Colpoys (Scituate, Mass.) now has 190 for her career, which are fifth all-time at the school. This season she leads the team with 57 blocks and a .274 hitting percentage, while she is second with 136 kills. For her career she has 668 kills.
- Junior Megan Lynch (Mendham, N.J.) led the team last week with 30 kills and 4.29 kills per set, while she also ranked first with 26 digs and 3.71 digs per set. She also led the team with four service aces. Lynch averaged a stellar 5.33 kills and 4.33 digs per set in the 3-0 win versus Navy. She recorded double-doubles in both matches giving her 14 for the season and 41 overall. For her career, Lynch has 1,048 kills and 808 digs. She is third all-time in program history in kills and is 10th in digs.
- Las week, freshman Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) averaged 9.86 assists per set and also led the team with eight blocks. She also notched her sixth double-double of the season with 42 assists and 10 digs in the loss to American. Stokes has 456 assists this season, while she is third on the team with 123 digs and 35 blocks. She is also second with 18 aces. Freshman Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) was second on the team last week with 24 digs. She recorded her first collegiate double-double with 12 kills and 15 digs versus American. Freshman Layne Hubbard (Austin, Texas) was second on the team last week with 20 kills as she recorded a season-best 15 versus American.
- Holy Cross is second in the Patriot League with 1.91 blocks per set, is third with 15.25 digs per set and is fourth with 1.39 aces per set. Lynch is first in the conference with 3.79 kills per set, while Colpoys is sixth with a .274 hitting percentage. Colpoys is also third in blocks per set (0.95) and junior Callie Black (Fallon, Nev.) is sixth (0.84). Junior Elizabeth Watters (San Francisco, Calif.) is ranked fourth in the league with 4.10 digs per set, while Stokes is seventh in assists per set with 8.00 and is tied for eighth in aces per set with Lynch with 0.32.