Scoreboard: No Team Scores, Nassaney Invitational, Smithfield, R.I., 9/7
Schedule: Friday, Sept. 20, National Catholic Championship, South Bend, Ind., 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 21, UMass Dartmouth Invitational, Dartmouth, Mass.
- Select members of the Holy Cross women's cross country team will return to action on Friday, Sept. 20, at the National Catholic Championship in South Bend, Ind., hosted by Notre Dame. Holy Cross and Notre Dame are the only two schools in the country to have participated in each year of this event.
- Other members of the women's cross country team will compete on Saturday, Sept. 21, at the UMass Dartmouth Invitational in Dartmouth, Mass.
- Last season, Holy Cross finished ninth of 34 teams at the National Catholic Championship. Senior Emily Hughes (Milton, Mass.) led the Crusaders on the course, earning a 23rd place finish of 266 runners with a time of 18:20.3. At the 2012 UMass Dartmouth Invitational, sophomore Cassie Gildea (Milford, Conn.) represented the Crusaders and finished with a time of 21:26.
- Holy Cross is coming off the Nassaney Invitational, hosted by Bryant. Hughes also led the Crusaders in this race, taking seventh of 100 runners with a time of 18:23.5. Five other Crusaders finished in the top third of the standings, including freshman Rachel Sowinski (Mountain Top, Pa.), senior Sandra van den Heuvel (Nashua, N.H.), junior Abigail Mitchell (Manchester, N.H.) and freshmen Caroline Carr (Ridgefield, Conn.) and Mary Welsh (Manhasset, N.Y.).
- The Crusaders are scheduled to run in seven more races this fall, including the Patriot League Championship on Nov. 2 in Easton, Pa., hosted by Lafayette. Qualifying members of the team may also compete at the NCAA Northeast Regional on Nov. 15 and ECAC Championship on Nov. 23.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's cross country team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.