Holy Cross Earns Commanding 83-56 Victory Over Rider
LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J. – Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed led the Crusaders’ offense with a game-high 22 points, as Holy Cross earned an 83-56 victory over Rider on the road Saturday afternoon at Alumni Gymnasium.
Sophomore Lauren Manis added 16 points while shooting 6-for-9 from the field and added a team-high seven rebounds with three assists and three steals. Senior Tricia Byrne also finished the game in double-digits with 12 points, hitting 7-of-8 free throws and adding two assists. Sophomore Nicole Morris finished the game with eight points, while senior Katie Doherty posted seven points in the win.
Holy Cross shot 48.1% from the field while holding Rider to 29.1% of its attempts. The Crusaders were perfect at the free throw line in the fourth quarter, making all 12 attempts from the charity stripe. Each team totaled 35 rebounds in the game.
WOMAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES
- Following the game, Thomas-Waheed was selected as the Woman of the Match presented the United States Marines.
- Thomas-Waheed finished the game with a game-high 22 points while adding five rebounds and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holy Cross began the game with a 9-2 run to jump out to a commanding lead early, en route to outscoring Rider 26-13 in the first quarter.
- Thomas-Waheed led the Crusader offense with nine points scored in the second, as Holy Cross added 16 in the quarter to post a 42-24 advantage heading into the locker room at halftime.
- Rider was able to gain some ground in the third quarter, getting as close at 10 points, but they would get no closer as the Crusaders led 59-41 with 10 minutes to play.
- Holy Cross maintained a commanding lead in the fourth quarter, making all 12 of its free throws to help secure the 83-56 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Thomas-Waheed has now surpassed 900 career points, and stands with 911 following the win at Rider. She has added 20 points in two of three games to start the season, and scored in double-digits in all three contests.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Tuesday, Nov. 21, as the Crusaders travel to Hofstra for a 7:00 p.m. game.