Floyd Scores Career-High 15 Points In 58-54 Loss To La Salle
BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Junior forward Jehyve Floyd scored a career-high 15 points, but the Holy Cross men’s basketball team was defeated by La Salle 58-54 in the consolation game of the Basketball Hall of Fame Belfast Classic at the SSE Arena. The Crusaders fall to 2-5 on the season with the loss, while the Explorers improve to 5-4 overall.
Holy Cross hit 43.5 percent of its field goal attempts on the day, while holding La Salle to just 36.0 percent shooting from the floor. But the Explorers were able to connect on 77.8 percent of their free throws, while the Crusaders made just 50.0 percent of their shots from the charity stripe.
Junior guard Patrick Benzan totaled 13 points, five rebounds and two assists for Holy Cross, while junior forward Karl Charles added nine points and three assists. B.J. Johnson led La Salle with 15 points and six rebounds.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Floyd was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- His career-high 15 points came on six of eight shooting from the field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game was close early on, with La Salle holding an 11-10 lead at the 10:36-mark of the first half.
- The Explorers then went on an 8-0 run to increase the margin to nine points (19-10).
- The Crusaders closed the deficit to four points (21-17) with 6:51 left before the break, before La Salle used a 9-0 spurt to go in front by 13 (30-17).
- The Explorers eventually took a 34-24 edge into the locker room at halftime.
- La Salle increased its lead to 16 points (42-26) early in the second half, before Holy Cross went on a 16-4 run to cut the margin to four points (46-42).
- The Crusaders would tie the score at 50-50 on a basket by Floyd with 2:24 remaining, before a three-pointer by Johnson gave the Explorers the lead for good.
- La Salle then hit two of three free throws in the final 10 seconds to hold on for the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Freshman forward Connor Niego pulled down a career-high and team-best seven rebounds, to go along with five points.
- The Crusaders finished the game with a season-high 32 rebounds as a team.
- Floyd was named to the Belfast Classic All-Tournament team, after averaging 11.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in two games.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, Dec. 6, when it travels to Massachusetts for a 7:00 p.m. game.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Season and single-game tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.