Men's Basketball Downs Navy 81-65 In Patriot League Quarterfinals
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Junior forward Jehyve Floyd scored a game-high 20 points to lead the Holy Cross men’s basketball team to an 81-65 victory over Navy at Alumni Hall in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League Tournament. The Crusaders improve to 12-18 on the season with the win, while the Midshipmen fall to 20-12 overall.
Holy Cross had an outstanding shooting night, making 67.6 percent of its field goal attempts, 60.0 percent of its three-pointers and 78.1 percent of its free throws. The Crusaders also held the Midshipmen to 41.1 percent shooting from the floor and 34.6 percent shooting from beyond the arc.
Freshman guard Austin Butler finished the game with 18 points, six rebounds and two steals, while freshman guard Caleb Green added 15 points, three assists and two rebounds. Freshman forward Jacob Grandison totaled 12 points, seven rebounds, five assists and three steals, and junior guard Patrick Benzan chipped in with 11 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals. Navy was led by George Kiernan with 16 points.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Floyd was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- His 20 points came on eight of nine shooting from the floor.
- He also totaled four rebounds, three assists and two blocked shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Midshipmen started the game hot, jumping out to a quick 13-5 lead with 15:58 left in the first half.
- Holy Cross responded with a 12-2 run to pull in front (17-15), and went on to take a 30-24 advantage with four minutes remaining before the break.
- Navy came back to score the next seven points, before a layup by Butler gave the Crusaders a 32-31 halftime lead.
- Holy Cross then dominated play at both ends of the court early in the second half, coming out of the locker room with a 17-3 run over the first nine minutes to claim a 15-point advantage (49-34).
- The Crusaders were still up by 15 (64-49) with 4:26 left to play, when the Midshipmen scored seven straight points to make things interesting.
- But Holy Cross then hit 15 of 17 free throws in the final three minutes to pull away for a 16-point victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Holy Cross’ .676 field goal percentage was the best ever by any school in a Patriot League Tournament game.
- With the victory, the Crusaders snapped a four-game Navy winning streak in the series.
- Holy Cross posted its first-ever win as the No. 6 seed in the Patriot League Tournament (previously 0-2).
- The Crusaders return to action on Sunday, March 4, when they travel to Colgate for the semifinals of the Patriot League Tournament.
- The Holy Cross-Colgate game will tip off at 12:00 p.m. on the CBS Sports Network.