Women's Lacrosse Downs Stetson, 14-8
DeLAND, Fla. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team downed Stetson, 14-8, in DeLand, Fla. on March 4 to pick up its first win of the 2018 season.
The Crusaders (1-5) opened the scoring and traded goals with the Hatters (0-4), each team trading the lead. At the 7:15 mark, Holy Cross took the first two goal lead of the game, 6-4. The Crusaders continued offensive pressure with three-consecutive goals under 3:32 to play in the first half and take a 9-5 lead.
The scoring went back-and-forth in the first 10 minutes of the second half, but Holy Cross sustained the lead. The Crusaders outscored the Hatters, 5-3, in the final 30 minutes of play.
First Half | HC 9 SU 5
- Baker Earl opened the scoring for the Crusaders at 24:46.
- Shelby Lehmann of Stetson evened the game (1-1) at 21:24.
- Keely Connors posted her first of the day to give the Crusaders their first lead of the game at 20:50.
- Back-to-back Hatter goals from Riley Reagan and Quinn Roe pushed Stetson ahead, 3-2, at 17:06.
- Holy Cross responded with a goal from Catherine Guanci at 16:34 followed by a Bryn Carroll goal at 13:37.
- Stetson scored 20 seconds later to even the game at 4-4.
- Riley Bergholtz tallied the go-ahead-goal for the Crusaders at 10:16 and Earl added her second goal at 7:15 to give the Crusaders a two-goal lead.
- Stetson scored one more goal in the first half, at 4:05 from Hallie Merz.
- Holy Cross extended their lead to 9-5, with three consecutive goals in the final 3:32 of the first half from Kerianne Moran (3:32), Earl (2:25), and Carroll (1:43).
Second Half | HC 14 SU 8
- Stetson fired off the first goal of the second half at 25:25 from Rachel Valocchi.
- Guanci completed a hat-trick, scoring at 23:14 and 20:44.
- Connors recorded her first multi-goal game of the season, with her second goal at 18:32 to give Holy Cross a 12-7 lead.
- At 18:09, Stetson scored its final goal of the game from Marina Rotella.
- Earl tallied consecutive goals to cap off a five-goal performance at 8:32 and 5:20 and finalize the game, 14-8.
- Baker Earl posted a career-high five goals in the game.
- Catherine Guanci picked up her first career hat-trick.
- Keely Connors and Bryn Carroll added two goals apiece.
- Julia Maloney picked up six saves.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross outshot Stetson, 42-21.
- The Crusaders caused 11 turnovers while the Hatters caused five.
- Holy Cross had 11 turnovers and Stetson had 29.
The Crusaders will host the Catamounts for a 1:00 p.m. game on March 7 at Kuzniewski Field.