Softball Drops Two Against Bethune-Cookman
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - The Holy Cross softball team dropped their first double header of the week against Bethune-Cookman. The first game ended 2-1 in favor of the Wildcats. In the second game, Holy Cross scored seven runs in the fourth inning, but fell short, 8-7. Senior Mandy McCarthy led the team with her first homerun of the season, four RBIs and two hits with six at bats.
Sixth Inning Highlights:
- At the top of the sixth, McCarthy doubled to center field.
- Sophomore Sydney Burr stepped to the plate and hit a single to send McCarthy home.
- The Wildcats were able to hold the Crusaders at one run and end the game with the 2-1 win.
Fourth Inning Highlights:
- The Crusaders scored seven runs in the fourth inning against the Wildcats in the second game of the double header.
- Burr and senior Taylor Moss were walked to open up the inning.
- Freshman Alyssa Gutierrez grounded out to first to send Burr to third and Moss to second.
- Senior Savannah Young recorded an RBI sending Burr home.
- Senior Gabby Muniz was walked and freshman Bella Jankowski was hit by a pitch.
- With the bases loaded, junior Jackie Brewster notched two RBIs sending Moss and Muniz home to make the score 6-4 in favor of Bethune-Cookman.
- Junior Taylor Wahler recorded one RBI with a single to left field and Jankowski scored.
- McCarthy hit her first homerun of the season and tallied three RBIs sending Wahler and Brewster in to score.
- At the end of the fourth, the score was 7-6, in favor of the Crusaders.
The Wildcats would score two more times to take the second game in the double header, 8-7.
The Crusaders will take on Stetson University on Wednesday, March 7, for the second double header of the week. The first game will start 2 p.m.