Men's Lacrosse Edges Quinnipiac, 14-13
HAMDEN, Conn. – The Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team defeated Quinnipiac, 14-13, on Saturday afternoon in Hamden, Conn. The Crusaders’ 14 goals was a season-high for the team offensively.
The Crusaders (2-7) opened the scoring at 12:45 of the opening quarter, but traded goals with the Bobcats (4-5) through the first quarter to take a narrow 3-2 lead. The Crusaders turned up the offense to start the second quarter with two more goals, including one on an extra man opportunity. Quinnipiac battled back and sent the game into halftime with Holy Cross holding a narrow 7-6 lead.
The scoring continued through the third quarter, with Holy Cross outscoring Qunnipiac 5-4. With just over a minute to play in the third quarter, the Crusaders kicked off a four goal run that stretched into the final 15 minutes to take their biggest lead of the game, 14-10. Quinnipiac tallied three more goals, but Holy Cross was able to keep the Bobcat comeback at bay.
• Logan LeBlond led the Crusaders offense with five goals. It is a career-high for the senior attacker.
• Kevin Kodzis and Drew Babiak added hat tricks, each with five goals in the Crusaders’ last two outings.
• Connor Waldron added three points with two goals and one assist.
• The Crusaders more than doubled Quinnipiac on ground balls, 40-18.
• Dan O'Connell went 24-30 at the face off.
• The Crusaders went 3-5 in extra man opportunities.
Quarter 1 | HC 3 QU 2
• Logan LeBlond scored his first goal of the game at 12:45.
• Quinnipiac responded a little over two minutes later, 1-1.
• Kevin Kodzis tallied an unassisted goal at 3:50.
• The Bobcats evened things again at 2-2 at 2:14.
• LeBlond struck again to send the Crusaders ahead, assisted by Connor Waldron at 1:43.
Quarter 2 | HC7 QU 6
• LeBlond completed his natural hat trick with a goal at 14:33 and again at 12:44 to give the Crusaders a 5-2 lead.
• Quinnipiac recorded two goals to bring the game within one at 10:37 and 7:04.
• Holy Cross’ LeBlond topped off his five-goal game at 6:49 when he was assisted by Henry Lilly at 6:49.
• The Bobcats scored at 5:07 to bring the game back within one, 6-5.
• The Crusaders’ extended their lead by way of Drew Babiak at 4:20 and was assisted by Sean Mullaney on the play.
• Quinnipiac closed the quarter with a goal at 2:29.
Quarter 3 | HC 12 QU 10
• The Bobcats tied the game for the first time since the first quarter, at 14:39.
• Holy Cross responded with three consecutive goals. First Waldron struck on a man-up opportunity at 13:10. Babiak followed at 11:50 and then Kodzis at 10:10.
• The Bobcats came back with three-straight goals of their own at 9:05, 4:36, and 1:36 to tie the game, 10-10.
• Rowan Hart posted his fourth of the season with an assist from Justin Lynskey to give the Crusaders the lead at 1:11.
• Waldron scored his second of the quarter, again on a man-up situation at 27 seconds to send the game into the final quarter with a 12-10 lead.
Quarter 4 | HC 14 QU 13
• Holy Cross continued a scoring run with two goals to open the final quarter. Kodzis and Babiak added unassisted goals at 11:51 and 8:36 to take a 14-10 lead.
• The Bobcats finished the game with three more goals but could not complete the comeback. Quinnipiac scored at 7:14, 6:26, and 3:13.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Holy Cross outshot Quinnipiac, 43-31.
• The Crusaders won 24 of 30 faceoffs.
• Holy Cross made eight saves to Quinnipiac’s 16.
The Crusaders will travel to Navy for a 12:00 p.m. game on March 31 to resume Patriot League action.