Late Moriarty Goal Sends Women's Lacrosse Past Army, 11-10
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse defeated Army with a goal in the final seconds of the game, 11-10.
The Crusaders (4-7, 2-1 Patriot League) stuck first before the Black Knights (7-4, 1-2 Patriot League) evened things up in the opening ten minutes of the game. Holy Cross took a 3-1 lead, before Army battled back to take a 6-5 lead to close the first half.
The Crusaders added two goals to start the second half and kept the Black Knights off the board until midway through the half. Army scored three goals to take a two-goal lead before Holy Cross outscored the Black Knights 4-1 in the final ten minutes of play. Heading into the final 40 seconds of the game with the score knotted at 10-10, the Holy Cross offense maintained composure as Catherine Guanci fed Maggie Moriarty along the crease with 3.7 seconds left to take the lead, 11-10.
- Keely Connors scored a hat-trick, while Kerianne Moran, Riley Begholtz, and Molly Pfaff posted two-goal games.
- Moriarty’s goal was the first game-winning goal of her career.
- Holy Cross scored two goals with less than five seconds on the clock. Maggie Moriarty had a hand in both.
First Half | HC 5 Army 6
- Keely Connors scored at 29:16 on a free position shot.
- Army’s Jackie Brattan scored at 26:58.
- The Crusaders tallied back-to-back goals at 21:58 from Connors and 19:57 when Riley Bergholtz was assisted by Bryn Carroll.
- Army rattled off three goals at 13:18m 12:32, and 9:33 to take a 4-3 lead.
- Kerianne Moran scored at 7:24 on a free position shot.
- Army’s Jackie Brattan tallied two more goals at 5:24 and 4:39 to extend the Black Knight lead to 6-4.
- Molly Pfaff scored with five seconds remaining in the half, assisted by Moriarty to put the Crusaders within one at the half.
Second Half | HC 11 Army 10
- Holy Cross opened the second half with two goals, from Kerianne Moran at 25:06 and Keely Connors at 17:49.
- The Black Knights took back the lead with three-straight goals at 16:50, 15:42, and 13:06 to take a 7-9 lead.
- Holy Cross responded with three goals of their own at 9:26, 9:13, and 8:21. Pfaff added her second of the game on a free position while the Bergholtz-Carroll duo combined for another goal, and Baker Earl scored on a free position to take a 10-9 lead.
- Army evened things up with less than two minutes remaining by way of Amy Johnston.
- Moriarty came in clutch for the second time of the game, scoring with less than four seconds to play off of a great feed from Catherine Guanci.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross outshot Army, 30-28.
- The Crusaders picked up 21 ground balls to the Black Knights 16.
- Julia Maloney added 11 saves while Army totaled eight.
Holy Cross will take on No. 13 Navy at Kuzniewski Field on March 31 at 1:00 p.m.