McArdle Leads Women's Track & Field at VertKlasse Meeting
HIGH POINT, N.C. - The Holy Cross women's track & field team had five student-athletes qualify for the ECAC Outdoor Championships, three qualify for the New England Championships and recorded one broken record.
- Senior Stefanie McArdle broke the school outdoor record and finished fourth in the 400m with a time of 57.07. She also qualified for the New England Championships.
- In the 100m, junior Alexandra Curtin placed fourth (12.02) and sophomore Alliie Smiley finished sixth (12.10), which were personal best times for both. Curtin qualified for ECACs with her time.
- Senior Claire Turner finished fourth in the 800m with a time of 2:17.38. In the same event, seniors Meghan Dietter and Kate Spitler finished sixth (2:19.71) and seventh (2:20.59).
- Senior Zoe Matherne qualified for the ECACs with her second place finished in the 1500m (4:28.97). Hannah Segrave of Great Britain placed first in the event.
- The Crusaders swept the 5k with sophomore Jenna Gasparrini taking first (17:27.42), senior Hannah Jeter placing third (17:39.02) and senior Annie Sullivan taking third (18:11.07).
- In the 100m hurdles, senior Alanna Hitscherich notched a personal record placing fifth (14.74) and qualified for the New England Championships. Sophomore Morgan Sanders finished sixth (14.75) and also hit a personal best and qualified for the New England Championships.
- The 4x100m relay team consisting of Smiley, junior Sarah Friess, Curtin and McArdle placed second (47.50), which is a season's best and ECAC qualifying mark.
- Turner, McArdle, Dietter and junior Lauren Rasmus placed fourth in the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:55.86.
- Holy Cross also swept the long jump: Smiley took first (5.77m), Curtin placed second (5.51m) and Hitscherich finished third (5.44m). Smiley's mark was good to qualify for ECACs. Sander took fourth place in the same event (5.35m).
- In the triple jump, Hitscherich placed fifth (11.31m), which was a season's best jump.
- Freshman Abbie Mokwuah took third in the shot put with an ECAC qualifying mark of 13.62.
- In the 400m hurdles, Rasmus recorded a personal record with a time of 1:06.43.
The Crusaders will take on the University of New Hampshire on April 7 in Durham, N.H.