Women's Lacrosse Season Blog

Holy Cross Athletics   04-29-2013
Holy Cross Athletics

The senior class of Maddie Carrellas (Middletown, R.I.), Sara Cox (Chatham, N.J.), Sarah Daly (Ridgewood, N.J.), Tina Marino (Hillsborough, N.J.), Caroline Pedlow (Charlotte, N.C.), Kat Sutton (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) and Taylor Zebrowski (Verona, N.J.) concludes this year's blog.

Monday, April 22, 2013 (Caroline Pedlow)

After a nice relaxing weekend the team was ready to get back to business. We knew coming into the tournament that draws and hustle would be the key to success in the upcoming tournament, so we worked on that during practice as well as one vs. ones and a quick run through of all our offensive plays. Shout out to Sara Cox for all her HARD work and return to practice after her injury in the fall.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 (Tina Marino)

As per usual, we had late practice on Tuesday. This week was even later because the men's lacrosse team had its final game against Dartmouth. Their game pushed our practice back to 6-8 p.m. We began Tuesday with film at 4:30 p.m. We watched clips of our game versus Lehigh and a few clips of American. Watching film really got us excited for our upcoming semifinal game in the Patriot League Tournament versus American that Friday. We were leaving Thursday so we wanted to get in a few solid practices at home. We started warm-ups on the astro turf at 5:30 p.m. and got on the field turf once the boys were finished at about 6:00 p.m. We were hoping that we wouldn't go the full two hours because the weather was miserable and it was rainy and cold. Our practice started a bit flat and coach was unhappy then we began to pick it up and we ended with a strong session of 7 v 7. We ended at 8:00 p.m., although we went the full two hours we felt accomplished and were happy that we ended on a high note, ready for an all-around better practice Wednesday.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 (Kat Sutton)

Wednesday's practice was absolutely beautiful weather and everyone was really excited to get goggle and pinnie tan lines. Since it was the last practice on our home field, we really wanted to work on our game plan and have a good, solid practice. This was such a fun practice because you could feel the excitement to get down to Annapolis and get redemption on American. After practice we stayed in the locker room listening to music and packing our bags. Off to Annapolis we go!!!

Thursday, April 25, 2013 (Sara Cox)

Travel day! We left the Hart Center a little after 7:00 a.m. so the freshmen had time to pick classes. Everyone was armed with their pillow pets and we were ready to go. We landed in Baltimore where our Silver Fox Bus was waiting to take us to the hotel. After getting all settled into our rooms, we went to a team lunch. Afterwards we went to the Navy stadium for a pregame practice. We worked on guarding cutters to prepare for American's offense. After practice we went straight to dinner in downtown Annapolis. After dinner, it was straight to bed to get a good night's rest for our game against American!

Friday, April 26, 2013 (Maddie Carrellas)

Not only was today Jersey Burns' birthday, but also it was finally GAME DAY! Today was the day that we had been preparing for all week. Our game against American wasn't until 7:45 p.m. that night so we had lots of time to relax and mentally prepare. We got to sleep in a little and even spent some time walking around downtown Annapolis. At around 6:00 p.m. we headed to Navy stadium hoping to get redemption against American. Before we knew it, the first whistle blew and started what seemed to be the longest 60 minutes ever. We came out extremely strong gaining a lead of five goals that were scored by Sara Hennessey, Kat Sutton and Laura Ryan. Before the end of the first half American tallied two goals making the score 5-2. We knew that we couldn't rely on our lead and that American was going to fight right until the very end. The second half was equally back and forth, but with a goal from Laura Ryan, two goals from Taylor Zebrowski, and great team defense, American was unable to come out on top. An 8-7 win over American advanced us to the Patriot League championship game for the second year in a row against Navy!!!

Saturday, April 27, 2013 (Taylor Zebrowski)

Spirits were extremely high Saturday morning as everyone was excited to sleep in and eager to discuss Friday's win over breakfast. After our morning buffet we gathered in coach's suite to watch some film on Navy to get ready for the championship game. We then had a delicious team meal at Salad Works (an upscale version of the salad place in crossroads) and headed off to practice. We all had deja vu being back at the stadium, but knew we had work to do. We started off practice with Coach Q and Daly attempting to launch lacrosse balls up into the stadium seats. Everyone's jaws dropped to the turf, as Coach Q impressed us with his muscles once again. Daly on the other hand not so much. We had a lot of fun at practice prepping for the big game, especially because the weather could not have been nicer and we got to rock just pinneys! After practice we returned to the hotel to shower and then got to head into Annapolis to shop with our parents for a couple hours before dinner. We had a team meal at the Federal House and were joined by some entertaining guests like Mrs. Zelesky and coach's kids. After dinner we were let loose to spend our meal money on dessert. Most of the girls splurged for some homemade ice cream and then ran off all the calories, as we had to run uphill to catch the bus. After arriving back at the hotel we took ice baths, made pump up post-its, and watched some men's lax as well as How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Then we hit the hay to dream of sinking Navy...

Sunday, April 28, 2013 (Sarah Daly)

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME DAY!!!! Today was the day we had been preparing for all season. Winning a Patriot League championship was the number one goal that our team established for ourselves on day one of pre-season, and after a lot of hard work and preparation, the day we had been waiting for since we lost in last year's championship game had finally arrived. We woke early for breakfast, ready and extremely pumped up for our battle against Navy at noon. Playing two games in three days is not an easy feat, but we knew Navy was as equally exhausted as we were and we headed to the field ready to give it our all one last time down in Annapolis. Our pregame warm-up was intense as we started the warm-up lap each taking turns screaming as loud as we possibly could to get everyone fired up! Unfortunately, the game did not go as we had hoped, as we struggled to get into "our game," the type of play that had gotten us this far, midway through the first half. Although the end result wasn't what we wanted, we were reminded by our coaches and families to keep our heads held high as making the championship game in the tournament was a huge accomplishment in and of itself. Also, another positive was that Kat Sutton, Maddie Carrellas, and Sara Cox made the All-Tournament team!!!! CONGRATS LADIES, you deserve it!!

Hopefully, the underclassmen will use the disappointment they felt at the end of this game as motivation for redemption next year. As for us seniors, it was the first of many lasts to come for us, and it was definitely an emotional day. It is weird to officially be "retired," but it was an incredible, fun-filled four years with the best teammates we could ever ask for. We are so happy and fortunate to have spent the last four years as members of the HCWLAX team!!! Until next year, GO CROSS!!!

Freshman Lauren Perry (Merrimack, N.H.) discusses the 10th week of the season.

Monday, April 15, 2013

After a day off we turned our focus to preparing for our game against Central Connecticut on Wednesday. We had a team meeting to regroup and we all agreed to take this past weekend and use it as a motivator for this week's games. We had a good practice this afternoon and partner lift in the weight room and now we're determined to finish this week, and the regular season strong!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tomorrow is another game under the lights, and we couldn't be more excited! Today we had a great evening practice and everyone is definitely ready to take on CCSU! We know they can be an aggressive team but we're prepared to be mentally and physically tougher. 

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

GAME DAY!!! We are SO pumped to play tonight! We gathered in Kimball for a team meal and then soon headed up to Hart to get ready and to take the field. The energy during warm-ups was great and you could tell we couldn't wait to start playing! Before the game started we had a moment of silence honoring the victims of Boston Marathon bombings and their families. Once the game started we played so well together and all our hard work really paid off because we won and ended their eight-game winning streak!! GO CROSS!!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Coming off a W is one of the best feelings and we used that to prepare for our last regular season game on Friday. With only one day before we take on Lehigh we really focused during film and practice and we are determined to end on another win before the tournament starts next week.

Friday, April 19, 2013

GAME DAY!!! It's so hard to sit through classes with such a big game tonight! It's our last game before playoffs AND it's a Patriot League game! There's a lot riding on this and we want to head into the tournament in third place and 3-3. Offense had some great finishes and D had some awesome stops and all in all we came out on top 14-6! While we were really excited about winning, the moment was bittersweet when we realized it was the last time this group would play as a team on our home field but we love playing together so we're going to make it last as long as possible! PLC here we come!!

Saturday and Sunday, April 20-21, 2013

We have the whole weekend off! We're using it to recover from two very exciting games this past week and start getting ready for the Patriot League playoffs! Navy beat American on Sunday so soon we'll be heading down to Annapolis for playoffs! Wish us luck!

Freshmen Katie Boyle (Devon, Pa.) and Catherine Rutter (Summit, N.J.) discuss the ninth week of the season.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Today was gorgeous weather and it finally got up to almost 70 degrees! It was the first day since last fall that everyone only had shorts and t-shirts on during practice. Unfortunately, junior Sara Hennessey got a concussion so she was not able to practice with us. On the bright side, senior Sara Cox was able to run sprints with us!!!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

We prepared for our Harvard game under the lights today! We are really excited to have the opportunity to play such a good team after a tough loss last year. We want to make the most of this game, luckily with our home field advantage!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

GAME DAY!! After our team meal today, we took a team picture before the game. We were pumped to get out on the field and show Harvard that we were prepared for a big win. Though it was rainy and cold, we were able to push through the classic Worcester weather and get that W!!!!!! What an exciting win to add to our record after losing to Harvard for the past seven years. We really showed that we cannot be underestimated and showed up to win.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Adrenaline still pumping from the Harvard game, we had a great practice today. Right after practice, goalie Sarah Weber got all dolled up for the Holy Cross Athletics Date Auction. "Debby" got sold for a whopping 120 dollars to her "over-protective" brother and men's lacrosse freshman, Will Weber. Though she had many other bids, Will came through, protecting his older sis. The money from the date auction went to local Worcester Public Schools and the Gavin Quigley Scholarship Fund in honor of Seton Hill's women's lacrosse team. It was a fun night for a great cause.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Nothing like 7:00 a.m. practice in the wind and rain on a Friday morning! We made the most of practice and played our hardest in practice despite Mother Nature. After going to classes, we hopped on the bus at LAX with a dream in our cardigans. JUST KIDDING, we got on the bus to go to Bucknell for our game on Saturday. We stopped along the way for a team dinner in Ridgewood, New Jersey at Sarah Daly's country club. Though we were reluctant to change out of our sweats, everyone looked dashing in our nice clothes for this fancy meal. We finally made it to Lewisburg, Pa., after a long eight hour journey.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

We woke up and had breakfast at the local Country Cupboard as a team. After a delicious meal, we made our way to the field where we unfortunately lost to Bucknell 10-9.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Today we relaxed and regrouped in order to mentally prepare for our big games the upcoming week, Central Connecticut and Lehigh!!

Freshmen Kaitlin Concilio (Ridgewood, N.J.) and Margie Smith (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) discuss the eighth week of the season.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Today we did not have school since yesterday was a holiday so most of us were lucky enough to go home with our families for the weekend after our big win against Colgate! We also did not have practice so today was great for relaxing at home and resting our legs for an intense week of practice before our huge game against Patriot League opponent, Navy! FIVE DAYS!!!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

After a nice long weekend, everyone returned to campus to start preparing for our game on Saturday. Today, we watched some film on Navy before heading out to the field. Watching film always helps us focus on what we need to work on while preparing to play other teams. Unfortunately, after a few days of great weather, it started snowing in the middle of practice. We're sick of the snow and just want it to be spring! The rest of practice consisted of drills that tested the offense and the defense so that we are all ready for the high pressure and intensity on Saturday. FOUR DAYS!!!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Today, we started practice by picking up 100 ground balls each, which is always a fun way to start. Luckily, the weather was very nice today so we were able to ditch our "groutfits" and play in shorts and t-shirts. Defensively, we did a lot of footwork and focused on double teams and taking chances on the defensive side of the field. After being kicked off the field by the football team, we ran inside to lift. The gym was packed today with many other athletes but that didn't faze us. THREE DAYS!!!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Today we had practice during our usual time. Since the weather has been coming around we've been able to start wearing shorts again every day! These practices leading into Navy are crucial so we have been plying with a lot of intensity in order to gear up for Saturday. We watched film today again, which is important for us to fully understand our opponent and mentally prepare for what's to come. TWO DAYS!!!

Friday, April 5, 2013

It was a quick week considering we had Monday off but it's been a really important one! After preparing for Navy all week we were ready to cap it off with a great practice. Today we spent a lot of time playing like Navy in preparation for tomorrow. It was a long day up at Hart for us underclassmen but for good reason! Not only is tomorrow our game against Navy but also it's SENIOR DAY! The juniors had spent a lot of time organizing and planning for Senior Day in order to honor our seniors and their dedication to our program over the past four years. We spent two and a half hours hard at work decorating the locker room with streamers, balloons and posters. 1 DAY UNTIL NAVY!!!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

GAME DAY/SENIOR DAY! We started the day off right, with a typical pre-game team breakfast in Kimball. Then headed over to the locker room to prepare for our game. Us underclassmen had to do a few last minute decorations outside for Senior Day. We had to wait until the morning because had we put up streamers and posters the night before we might never have seen them again, considering the 20 miles per hour Worcester wind! Today, there were great vibes because we were so pumped to play Navy and excited to honor our seniors. After warm ups, each senior was announced and recognized for their hard work and dedication to HCWLAX. As the wind blew our streamers off the banisters and onto the field, we started off our game against Navy. Although the game did not end in our favor, we have taken a lot from the experience. We plan on finishing our season strong and facing Navy again for redemption!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

We had a nice relaxing day off on Sunday. We are ready to regroup for our next game against Harvard on Wednesday! BEAT HARVARD!!!

Junior Corinne Caracausa (North Wales, Pa.) and sophomore Lissie Russert (Cincinnati, Ohio) discuss the seventh week of the season.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Today was another day off which was a luxury for us. This extra day gave us more time for our legs to recover and to prepare for a long week dedicated to our game against Colgate on Saturday.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The warmer weather provided us with an opportunity to ditch our "groufits" and to practice in just shorts and a t-shirt. We started practice off in our favorite way…picking up 50 ground balls with our left hand, and then another 50 with our right hand. The worst part about this is our noses get very runny from looking down to find the ball to pick it up, however being the classy team that we are, blowing our noses in our pinnies did not faze us. Practice continued with lots of running. Many of us throughout the day and in the locker room joked that coach would make us run 23 hundreds because of our games last week. But, this joke soon became a reality. Luckily, we did not have to run them all at once, and instead we ran 15 throughout the entire practice. Needless to say, between lifting and running, our legs were not too happy by the end of the day. Four days until Colgate!!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The benefit of attending a Jesuit institution is that today was our last day of classes before Easter break. The warm weather continued today and we were anxious to get outside and to take advantage of it. We began practice by…yup, you guessed it…running hundreds!! Today was a lighter day as we only had to run eight of them throughout the duration of practice. Through it all, we knew that our hard work would pay off since we would be able to beat Colgate up and down the field. The rest of our drills revolved around improving our play against Colgate's defense, and tailoring our defense around limiting the opportunities of their major attackers. Three days!!!

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Today was our first day of Easter break. We began our morning with a team lift and then practiced after. Luckily, today did not involve any sprints. We brought a lot of intensity to practice as we were all getting excited for our big game on Saturday. After practice, we went to my roommate, Sara Hennessey's house for a big team dinner. There is no better way to win over our team than with a big feast. A very big thank you to Mr. Hennessey, Mrs. Hennessey, Megan, and Dan for hosting all of us! Two days!!!  

Friday, March 29, 2013

Usually, break and sleeping in go hand-in-hand, but today proved to be quite the opposite. We all strolled into Hart at 9:00 a.m. for breakfast and film, the best way to start any pre-game practice! During practice, defense really worked on stepping up and taking away the right hand drives, while our offense worked on how to find the gaps in a backer defense. We then had the rest of the day to mentally prepare ourselves. Our coaches stressed how important it was for us to really focus and get ready for our big match up against Colgate the next day. Coach even had us do a creative story to help us envision winning tomorrow. Many of us took ice baths after practice, while Kat Sutton even tested out the new "magic pants" in the training room, which prove to be a nice alternative than the frigid temperatures in an ice bath. We went to bed nervous but excited because we knew this was just another step to the PLC. Let's go Crossss!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Game Day!!! First things first...team breakfast! Lucky us, we had Kimball all to ourselves as they opened early so that we could be well fed before our game. Then in the locker room, we used Sophia's awesome boom box to pump us up and get excited before we took the field. Without a cloud in the sky, it definitely was a beautiful day for a lacrosse game... especially for a victory over Colgate! The game turned out to be quite the nail biter, but we never gave up and it paid off with a win! A save by Sarah Weber with 20 seconds left in the second half in overtime led to Sara Hennessey's game winning free position shot in the last second of overtime! We finally beat Colgate for the first time in the regular season since 2007!

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter! Most of the team embraced their time away from campus and went home or celebrated the holiday with family. After a big win we needed a day off!

Freshmen MacKenzie Bozel (Hunt Valley, Md.) and Casey Drollinger (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) discuss the sixth week of the season.

Hey Hey Hey! We can't believe its already the sixth week of season! It has already gone by so fast- we never want it to end!!

Monday, March 18, 2013

We started the week ready to prepare for a big game against UMass on Wednesday. At practice we did a lot of ground ball drills and some shooting too. We also mixed it up and did some high intensity competition drills in order to prepare for UMass' high-pressure defense.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Yet another snow storm hit campus today right in time for the first day of spring… But its nothing that were not used to here at HC, apparently we got the most snow in the country this year! Because of the storm we were not able to practice outside so instead we went indoors to our field house and had another good practice preparing for UMass. One DAY. BEAT UMASS!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

IT'S GAME DAY, IT'S GAME DAY!!! Ready to take on UMass, we gathered in the locker and got pumped to play another game of lacrosse! Before we went out to the field we each tied a piece of red and yellow ribbon in our shoes to honor the Seton Hill women's lacrosse team. Their team gave us another reason to work hard and we even said a cheer for them before the start of the game. Unfortunately the game did not go in our favor, but we were able to take a lot from the game and learn what we need to work on in our next practices in order to improve and beat Denver. On another note senior Taylor Zebrowski reached her 100th career goal during the game, being only the eighth player in HCWLAX history to get that honor. Congrats Tay!!!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

After our game on Wednesday we knew that we had to come to practice ready to work and improve as a team. We started off watching film from the UMass game so we were able to really see and understand what is it we need to work on. In practice the defense worked a lot on their footwork while the attack really focused on shooting and stick work. We finished practice with draw controls and then a bunch of us headed down to Kimball to get a good dinner and hang out. We are getting ready to take down Denver! 2 DAYS!

Friday, March 22, 2013

Finally it's Friday! After a long week of school and lacrosse we finally made it to the end of the week and are pumped for our big game tomorrow against Denver! Today we worked on putting all of the things that we were focusing on this week together in order to prevail against the Pioneers! Shout out to fellow freshman Lindsay O'Callaghan for turning 19 today!! 1 MORE DAY! BEAT DENVER!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Photo Gallery

GAME DAY! We started out the big day with a team breakfast down at Kimball. Freshman Catherine Rutter was especially excited for our game at noon that she even stood up in front of the whole HC football team and invited them to come watch our game. But, she didn't stop at that. She also led all of Kimball in some Crusader cheers! You nailed it Cath. We played a solid first half, but unfortunately we could not come up with a win against Denver. But now we're really fired up and ready to take on Colgate on Saturday, March 30 at 12:00 p.m. GO HOLY CROSS!!!

Junior Maddie Parisi (Westport, Conn.) and freshman Jersey Burns (Salem, N.H.) discuss the fifth week of the season.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Goalies started outside today doing ladders and crazy jump rope routines while the field players watched some film to prepare for tomorrow's game. Once everyone was stretched out and warmed up, we hopped right into some defensive drills. We transitioned into a draw to cage drill as well as others that focused on some things that we want to improve on before we face Brown. Practice ended with 7v7 and free position shots. After practice, we grabbed some dinner and headed up to watch the women's basketball team beat Colgate in the Patriot League semifinals (congrats girls!!!). BEAT BROWN!!!!!!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Today, we all went to our classes with high feelings of anticipation about the game. We boarded the bus at 12:30 p.m. and were happy discover some turkey sandwiches and PB&Js waiting for us. After navigating the streets of Providence, we finally arrived at Brown. Once the game started, so did the rain. Despite a hard fought game, we ultimately were not able to come away with a win. It was disappointing, but we can only move forward and focus on preparing for American on Saturday.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Today's practice was all about working hard and pushing each other after a disappointing showing at Brown. Before practice, we met as a team and discussed what we need to do individually and as a whole to be adequately prepared for Saturday. After practice, we watched film in the locker room and Coach had us take our own notes on the film as we watched on. THREE DAYS!!!! BEAT AMERICAN!!!!!!!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

In preparation for the game on Saturday, we tried to imitate American's play. We focused on learning to beat their zone ride, while also practicing how to defend their right hand cutters and crease rolls in our defensive end. We pushed each other to work hard and ended with some intense 7v7. TWO DAYS!!!! BEAT AMERICAN!!!

Friday, March 15, 2013

Since we were leaving from the airport at 1:00 p.m., Coach wanted to make sure that we had one last quality team practice before we play our second Patriot League game. Everyone was awake and 'chipper' for practice at 7:00 a.m. Watching the sunrise while playing lacrosse just can't be beat! During a somewhat turbulent plane ride, there was quite a bit of hand holding (especially between Laura Ryan and Lissie Russert!). All was well when we landed and the JetBlue crew gave HCWLAX a nice shout out. After renting a fleet of minivans, we all headed to a delicious dinner at Macaroni Grill. One of the waiters even serenaded Jersey (or 'Jerey' according to her plane ticket) with an Italian version of 'Happy Birthday' at the seniors' request. With all our tummies full and eyelids feeling heavy, we went back to the hotel and straight to bed to dream about beating American. BEAT AMERICAN!!!!!!!

Saturday, March 16, 2013

GAME DAY!!!!! After a delicious breakfast at the hotel, we loaded back into the vans and headed to American. The rain was holding off and it appeared to be a perfect day for a lacrosse game. Our early lead was not enough to hold off the Eagles and we ended up with a tough loss. Even though we couldn't end our day with a win, MacKenzie Bozel scored her first goal this year and we had a great cheering section—as always!—with some special guests (shout out to Seton Hartnett, Jackie Bellando and Cami Thompson's parents). After a short but very sweet tailgate, we piled back in the minivans and headed to the airport. Our three hour wait was extremely eventful from the studying to the snack breaks and there was even a star sighting!!! MacKenzie, a Maryland native and Ravens' fanatic, spotted Baltimore Ravens' Terrell Suggs in an airport eatery.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Today was our day off after a long week. We all observed St. Patrick's feast day and rested our bodies in preparation for another busy week of games and practices. With two tough opponents coming up, motivation and focus will be important factors for us to be successful in the week ahead.

Freshman Lindsay O'Callaghan (Rye, N.Y.) discusses the fourth week of the season.

It has been quite a week for us and marked the beginning of a bunch of road trips and traveling to away games which we all knew could have the ability to affect our play. Spring Break 2013 started off with a huge win at Sacred Heart University where we started out strong and played a full 60 minutes. The win brought us to 3-2 into our day off on Sunday, and was a good win to have under our belts leading into a week ahead that we knew would be a long and challenging one.

Monday and Tuesday, March 4-5, 2013

Monday and Tuesday we had practice on the Astro Turf, and a few of us volunteered our free time after practice on Tuesday at the Worcester food pantry. Tuesday night, we all caravanned at 4:30 p.m. to Coach Ridolfi's house about an hour away to enjoy some sloppy joes and cookies while also loving and enjoying the company of her two children Michael and Emma. Play time with those two consisted of Twister and even some tackling in the living room, which gave our Athletic Trainer a heart attack. Luckily there were no injuries, and we finally all thanked Coach for a delicious meal. We headed back to campus to finish some last minute packing and get to sleep for what we all knew would be a rude awakening and early wakeup call for a decisive 5:00 a.m. departure from campus for the airport.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

We all straggled out of bed, needless to say it was a pretty quiet bus ride to the airport, complete with a wide range of pillow pets as companions. Our arrival and movement through the airport was smooth, and we were happy to learn of no delays for our flight due to the inevitable and much- talked about snow storm that would be hitting D.C., our final destination. However, with this being said, some may attest to the fact that the plane ride was a little more bumpy and turbulent than we would have liked.

But, it was only about an hour flight to D.C., and we soon boarded a Peter Pan bus to our Sheraton hotel in Maryland. Our rooms weren't quite ready for us when we got there, so laptops and phones were pulled out in a conference room while we waited, and we were eventually given the keys to our rooms with the plush beds that everybody struggled to get out of the next morning. Practice was that night from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. After was a delicious meal at our very own Caroline Pedlow's restaurant, Blackfinn, and a mini tour of the D.C. area and the Lincoln Memorial.

Thursday and Friday, March 7-8, 2013

Unfortunately on Thursday we did not leave George Washington with a win, but we all focused our attention to the big first Patriot League game to be played on Saturday versus Lafayette, and our want to prove that being on the road doesn't affect our play and that we were going to fight with all that we had.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Saturday was a beautiful day for a win, and we took advantage of it! We showed up to the Lafayette stadium with the importance of the game on our minds, and we fought hard to finally put away a good team- a goal we have had all season. The final score was 20-10, and we enjoyed a delicious tailgate after the game provided by our devoted parents! What a way to end our Spring Break, and we could not have been more happy with our first Patriot League win which proved our intensity to the rest of the league.

Our attention is now focused on a win against the Brown Bears on Tuesday, and we hope to end the day 2-0 against Ivy League teams.

Week Three

Junior Sarah Weber (Summit, N.J.) and sophomore Sophia Agostinelli (Framingham, Mass.) discuss the third week of the season.  

Monday, February 25, 2013

After a much-needed day off on Sunday, we were back out on the freshly plowed astro turf to prepare for our game against Fairfield on Wednesday!  Many of us got out to the field early to shoot and pass around, and once practice started Coach went over the game plan for Fairfield. We discussed what we needed to do defensively and offensively in order to beat Fairfield. In order to warm up our sticks we did passing in threes down the field, and after that we did a shooting drill so our shooters could get used to the style of the Fairfield goalie. After that we did a full field clearing drill, followed by the 1v1 chaos drill. We finished practice with 7v7 and some eight meters. After practice, many of us grabbed ice from the training room and went to watch the men's ice hockey team beat Sacred Heart, which puts them in a great position for the postseason. Great job guys!  Two days until Fairfield!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Today we went up to practice a bit early to watch some video on Fairfield. Unfortunately our super high tech locker room TV outsmarted us all and we couldn't figure out how to turn it on, so we ended up going upstairs to the Bud Ryan room. While waiting around for everybody to get up to Hart from class coach inquired about everyone's love lives. She at first wanted to know which freshmen have boyfriends (a lot of them do!), and then she continued to question the rest of the team. After a few laughs and a very interesting conversation, we continued to watch film. On film, Fairfield seemed to dominate the game, but we watched what their tendencies are and plan on taking all of that info into the game tomorrow. In preparation for the game we went out on the astro turf and did draws to cage. We really need to work on winning the draw cleanly. Offense worked on shooting around the goalie because the Fairfield goalie is known to step up and cut off angles. Big day tomorrow, first real away game! Beat Fairfield!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The day has finally arrived to play Fairfield! The weather wasn't so great in Worcester, so we were hoping the weather at Fairfield would be better. Those of us who had morning classes went to class, and the Silver Fox left the Hart Center at 12:00 p.m. sharp. We had box lunches from Kimball on the bus which consisted of PB&Js, turkey sandwiches, apples, veggies, Teddy Grahams, Sun Chips and waters. We finally arrived at Fairfield and quickly got dressed in the locker room so we could head outside to warm up. We did the typical game day warm up which includes stretching, ladders, 4-person shuttles, 3v2s, 1v1s and 7v7. The warm up clock expired and it was time to play! Fairfield got off to a quick start and scored five fast goals on us, but as the first half went on we were able to slow them down and maintain possession of the ball. However, their five-goal lead was too big of a hole to dig ourselves out of, and we ended up losing 12-6. We had a quick tailgate, and Laura Ryan's mom brought a few trays of her homemade baked ziti, which was phenomenal. Although the day didn't go the way we wanted, we definitely learned some things that we need to work on and are looking forward to prepare to play Sacred Heart on Saturday.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

After the loss to Fairfield everyone came to practice ready to make some adjustments and renew their efforts. Practice started with film on the Fairfield game, and defense and offense were split up. While defense observed their mistakes and what they could work on, offense was outside working specifically on offensive drills, and then we switched. As a part of the defense, the prevailing issue was that we do not act as a unit and we need to be much louder and aggressive. In practice this problem was addressed with fervor. We did a 1v1 drill, another defensive drill, and some 7v7 and we went through these drills with plenty of energy. Everyone was shouting out their marks and being there for the slide. Now if only we can have this translate over into a real game. Two more days until we get that chance!

Friday, March 1, 2013

One day until Sacred Heart and Spring Break starts today! Everyone is so excited to be done with a busy week of work and classes, and now we can focus on our three games we will play over spring break. Today we had a really busy practice in order to prepare for our game tomorrow. We started off practice with post passing to get our sticks warmed up then we worked on defensive footwork in a small space. After that we did 1v1s, a double team drill for our defense, draws to cage and 7v7. We really want our defense to be loud and aggressive tomorrow, and the defensive drills we worked on definitely helped with that. We also want to have the majority of the draw controls tomorrow, so working on the draws was especially important today. In 7v7 the offense went over our plays, and our defense worked on being loud and aggressive. After practice we went inside and did our various treatments in the training room, and the men's basketball team gave us some of their leftover wraps from Pizza Delight! Many of us got to reap the benefits from this leftover food, and we enjoyed the buffalo chicken and chicken caesar wraps. We all had a relaxing night and went to bed early to rest up for the big game tomorrow. Beat Sacred Heart!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

We arrived at Sacred Heart ready to take chances and go on a scoring run right away. The locker room was a closet so we got ready in the hallway. We walked out on the field amped to play, it showed in the first five minutes of play. We scored six fast goals! Laura Ryan was killing it on the draw, and she was backed up by Sara Hennessey and Kat Sutton who boxed out their girls with ease. Defense also was looking pretty solid, coming out on their marks with the knowledge that their teammates would have their back. Its risks like these that can really fluster the other team's offense, we're not going to let the other team be relaxed in our defensive end, this is our house. By the end of the game we had a nice lead, although no lead gives us the right to sit on our heels. A lot of people got into the game, so overall this game was a whole team effort. A bunch of different people scored too, which was great! Kat Sutton had four goals, and she scored her 100th career goal during the game. Congrats Kat! We finished our first under 10 (goals against) and over 10 (goals for) game, which is the goal we like to set for ourselves during every game. Let's make it the first of many. After the game we had a wonderful tailgate, and we were able to watch a little bit of the HCMLAX game against Sacred Heart. The men beat Sacred Heart 11-9, so another double header with two wins for HCWLAX and HCMLAX! We are so excited to head into spring break with a solid win, and hope we can carry that into the week ahead.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day off today! After a busy week, we all took Sunday to relax and catch up on some sleep. Some of the freshmen went to see the movie Safe Haven, while some of the upperclassmen went to Tina Marino's favorite restaurant, The Flying Rhino! We all took advantage of the day off so that we can enter spring break week with plenty of rest!

Week Two

Junior Christina Amendola (Manorville, N.Y.) and sophomore Kim Corkum (Ipswich, Mass.) discuss the second week of the season including the team's win versus Yale.

Monday, February 18, 2013

It is a new week and we are ready to get to work! Today we started off with some partner lift and then we watched our film against Boston College to see what we need to fix. It was extremely helpful to go through the film and see the things that we needed to focus on. After watching film we discussed the upcoming week of practice and we got mentally prepared for our game against Yale on Saturday! The Yale game last year was a let down for our team so we are ready to get some serious redemption! There is also some major sibling rivalry for this game! Catherine Rutter and I (Christina Amendola) both have older sisters on the Yale lacrosse team and we want bragging rights! Our sisters might have gotten better SAT scores than us but us Holy Cross students are more well rounded, including when it comes to athletics!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

We had practice from 5:30-7:30 and it was raining so we warmed up inside and then got on the field as soon as the boys were done. We started practice out by working on our long passes when clearing the ball up the field. After working on this we went into a different clear drill where the defender had to pick up the ball while being double-teamed and then pass the ball to another defender up the field. We are going to have the best clear in the Patriot League! After doing the clear drills we went into a short field scrimmage, which was very fast pace and everyone was working really hard and pushing each other! We ended practice with some sprints and 8 meters. Four days until Yale!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

We started off practice with one of our stick warm up drills and Trish was playing some defense on us. Laura Ryan seemed to forget how to stop her feet and accidently knocked down Trish. No injuries occurred and it was pretty funny. Later on in practice Corinne Caracausa also seemed to forget how to stop her feet and also knocked down Trish in another drill. Trish was okay again but today did not seem to be her day. We also did some 3v2s in a small space and then some draws to cage. The defense was really focusing on playing good body defense without fouling at practice. We ended practice with some 7v7 and learned that Kat Sutton is more likely to score a goal with defense all over her opposed to having no defense on her at all. Trish joked around about not passing the ball to Kat unless she was covered. Three days!!!!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

It was a cold and very windy practice! Despite the bad weather conditions we were ready to work hard! We started off with some stick warm ups and then went into our gauntlet drill. After this we went into a full field scrimmage where we really focused on passing the ball up the field in the transition because of the strong winds. Following the scrimmage the offense worked on their plays while the defense worked on long cross field passes and then we went into 7v7. The offense was looking really good with their new plays and was definitely pushing the defense to work extra hard! Two more days!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Last full practice before the Yale game! Everyone came out to practice early to work on some shooting and stick work. We were all thankful that the long school week was finally over and that the weather had warmed up a little bit! The offense and defense split up and the offense worked on shooting with coach in the cage! Coach was confident in our team to not hit her and she was almost home free but then Caroline Pedlow took a shot that hit the post and then bounced off and hit Coach… Coach was okay though! Later we worked on our draws and we had some good clean transitions to goal! The hustle was great! Practice continued with our 3v3 half 8 meter drill and everyone was really aggressive. For the last portion of practice we worked on our plays in 7v7 and Corinne Caracausa fell victim to the turf monster for a second week in a row. Her knees got a little cut up but she was back up and ready to play some more defense! After a good practice everyone feels prepared for our game against Yale tomorrow! One more day!!!!!!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Game day!!!! The team went to Kimball at 9:00 a.m. for a team meal and everyone seemed to be really excited and prepared to get on the field! We knew Yale would give us some good competition but after preparing all week we were confident that it would be a good game. From the first whistle of the game to the last our team felt like we were in control, which led us to our 16-13 victory over Yale! We won the game, had fun doing it, and now Catherine Rutter and I have bragging rights over our older sisters who are on the Yale lacrosse team. It was a great day and to make it even better, HCWLAX 2012 alum, Catherine Furman, was at the game cheering us on to our awesome victory! Thanks for coming Furman! We love you!

Sunday, February 24, 2013

After a long week and a lot of hard work, we are able to give our bodies some rest and have the day off. Our next game is on Wednesday at Fairfield and after our home win against Yale, we are ready to get another win on the road!

Week One

Junior Sara Hennessey (Winchester, Mass.) and sophomore Laura Ryan (Stirling, N.J.) kick off this season's blog.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Hello Crusader Lacrosse fans! We are so excited to be back and ready to get the 2013 season underway! After making it to the Patriot League Championship last year, everyone on the team is very excited to make it back there again and take home the Patriot League championship. Preseason started off with bad weather. After the blizzard storm Nemo hit Worcester hard we traveled to Marlborough to practice indoors at Fore Kicks. At this indoor facility we worked a lot on 1v1s, draw controls and 7v7. We had a really good, high intensity practice despite having to change locations and not play on our home field. Everyone was really excited to finally be two days away from playing Bryant. After a long winter and preseason it is always very exciting to get the opportunity to play a team other than ourselves. Monday was also a huge day for HCWLAX because one of our senior captains, Sara Cox, got to run for the first time since getting knee surgery! It is great to have Cox back and running just in time for our first game! 2 DAYS BEAT BRYANT

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

One day away from our first game! We were back at Fore Kicks due to some technical difficulties with snow removal. However, we didn't let Mother Nature's elements get in the way of our game preparations. We had a solid one hour practice and we got a lot done and everyone was very focused. We worked on goalie clears and 7v7, specifically working on our plays for game day. We all headed back to campus after practice and made our way down to Kimball for a delicious pregame pasta dinner. 1 DAY BEAT BRYANT

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

GAME DAY! Nemo continued to be a pain in the buns and forced our home opener to be moved to Bryant at 7:00 p.m. Despite all of the weather adversities we had to overcome we were still super excited and ready to play our first game of the 2013 season. Game preparations started at 4:00 p.m. with a team meal at Kimball followed by our departure at 4:30 p.m. You could tell that everyone was getting in the zone on the bus because it was quiet as everyone was listening to their iPods. Shout out to Sophia Agostinelli for providing the team a SICK, dope, bomb boom box. The game tipped off at 7:00 p.m. and we were ready to play. Despite some first game jitters, we came together as a team and came out with an 8-7 win against the bulldogs. Two of our freshmen recorded their first collegiate points, Margie Smith had her first career goal and Kaitlin Concilio had her first career assist. We had a great turnout at the game, including HCWLAX super fans Kyle Atkins, Adam Schmidt and Evan Zych of the men's hockey team. The team was very excited to walk away from the game with a win and to start our season off 1-0.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

After our first WIN of the season, we went into practice on Thursday knowing what we had to work on to prepare for BC Saturday. Playing an ACC team is always exciting because of their fast and competitive play. At practice we worked a lot on man up and man down situations to prepare for the pressure we knew we were going to see on Saturday. The intensity at practice was very high because we knew we had to have really high intensity to compete with a team like BC. After practice a lot of our team headed straight to the training room to take an ice bath. 2 DAYS! BEAT BC!

Friday, February 15, 2013

A bunch of the team headed up to the locker room early to watch some film on BC's defensive pressure and offensive plays. After film we headed out to the field for pregame practice. We focused a lot on our defense marking up on 1v1 drives and cutters knowing that those are two of BC's strengths. In order to prepare for playing on the astro-turf we did a lot of ground balls. Unfortunately the turf monster came out during our practice and junior Corinne Caracausa fell victim to the turf monster. On a 1v1 versus Lissie Russert, Corinne got grabbed by the turf monster, fell to the turf, and got her knees ripped up on the rough astro turf. 1 DAY! BEAT BC!

Saturday, February 16, 2013

GAMEDAY!! The day started off with team breakfast at 11:00 a.m. Thankfully the omelet line was short and our favorite omelet lady was working! We all ate breakfast quickly so that we could go up and support the Holy Cross men's lacrosse team who was playing St. John's at noon. Having back to back home games with the men's team is always a lot of fun because there are a lot of people that come and support our teams! Our game against BC began at 3:00 p.m. We came out strong in the first half and at half time the score was 6-4. BC proved to be a very strong team and bested us 17-8. It was a hard fought game and we realized we have a lot to work on in order to compete at the BC level.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

DAY OFF! After two tough games this week, our team got the day off in order recover and prepare for the upcoming week. Having a day off after a week with two games allows us to mentally prepare for our next upcoming game. We look forward to using this upcoming week to prepare for our game against Yale next Saturday, home at noon!

2012 Season Blog

2011 Season Blog

2010 Season Blog




Launch Player
Holy Cross Athletics Moments: 2018-19
Holy Cross Athletics Moments: 2018-19
2019 Baseball Patriot League Semifinal Hype
2019 Baseball Patriot League Semifinal Hype
Softball vs. Lafayette Highlights (5/4/2019)
Softball vs. Lafayette Highlights (5/4/2019)