Field Hockey Season Blog

Holy Cross Athletics   11-04-2014
Holy Cross Athletics

Senior vice-captain Colby Lohrey (West Simsbury, Conn.) and junior Haley Makuch (Granby, Conn.) discuss the 10th week of the field hockey season.

Monday, October 27, 2014

On Monday, we hit the ground running with an intense conditioning practice. We focused primarily on short distance sprints and finished with a competitive relay race. Throughout the practice, we were conscious of demanding more from our teammates and ourselves. We kept a high energy level throughout practice to prepare for our game against American.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

After our game against Vermont on Sunday and our conditioning practice on Monday, we had did not have team practice. Throughout the day, we lifted with Coach Shepard in the weight room in preparation for our end-of-the-season testing. We rested our legs in order to have high intensity practices for the rest of the week. Most of the girls spent their night off in the library getting ahead on homework for the week.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

After a day off on Tuesday, we were ready to attack Wednesday's practice with focus and intensity. We began practice by working on our fundamental passing and receiving skills. The goalies were able to get a lot of shots at practice throughout our many shooting drills. We also worked on 2v2 and 3v2 to goal situations to work on our individual defense and elimination skills on attack.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Thursday's practice involved mostly game play situations to help us prepare for our game against American. We started practice with a shooting drill to warm up our goalies with a special appearance by Coach Zowie Tucker! Although her equipment was slightly outdated, it was evident that her skills were up to date. The rest of practice was dedicated to full field play, where we worked on pressing and out-letting situations that would help us for our game on Saturday.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween practice! Everyone on the team dressed up in fun and creative Halloween costumes including Mario Kart, Three Blind Mice, characters from Frozen, and many more! We began practice with a four-goal game to ramp up the intensity and focus. We gave the goalies plenty of shots through our shooting drills, and finished practice with some game play and well executed corners.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Game day! After a nutritious breakfast, we headed up to Hart to get ready for our last game against American. Some pre-game activities included an original song that we all belted out in dedication to our seniors, Kat, Colby and Molly. Before the start of the game, their families walked them out to the center of the field where they were recognized for their accomplishments over the past four years. Our "littles" from Big Brother Big Sister came to the game to cheer us on. After a hard fought game, we came up short 2-0 against American. Throughout the game, we had some moments of great hockey, but we failed to get the ball in the net. Overall, it was a great game and the seniors were honored at the tailgate.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

After our tough loss against American on Saturday, we had a day off to reflect on our accomplishments this season and think about what we need to do to prepare for our 2015 season. This coming week we have some end of the year wrap up meetings and fitness testing.

Freshmen Bailey Gill (Prospect, Ky.) and Caroline Jensen (Larchmont, N.Y.) discuss the ninth week of the season.

Monday, October 20, 2014

After having Sunday off, we all started the week well rested and ready to prepare for our mid-week game against Brown. At 4:00 p.m., we headed out to practice and started things off by working on our fundamental hitting and receiving skills. As practice progressed, we went through several drills to help us capitalize on numbers-up situations and remain composed during numbers-down situations. Overall, there was great focus and energy at today's practice, which is very important going into this week's game.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

On Tuesday, we had a quick and efficient practice that prepared us for our game against Brown that was not too taxing on our legs. Much like most of our pre-game practices, we worked on outletting versus different pressing formations and worked on our pressing formations against a defensive formation we suspected Brown would run. We played a quick 7v7 overtime, and then moved on to attack penalty corners and defensive penalty corners. After the practice, there is no doubt that we are prepared and excited to go out and compete against Brown tomorrow!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Game day! We all met at 4:30 p.m. for our pre-game meal and then headed up to the locker room to get ready for the game. What started out as a cloudy day, turned into torrential rains and crazy winds by game time. While we did have to alter our pre-game routine a little because of the weather, we were ready to go by game time! Playing under the lights, in the rain and wind, made for a very intense game setting (and thanks to all the parents and fans who braved the weather and added to the intensity of the game)!

After a well-played, scoreless first half, we started the second half off with the same intensity we started the game. We had numerous scoring opportunities and outshot Brown, but unfortunately the winds did not blow in our favor and we were defeated, 1-0, to a very good Brown team.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

After our cold and wet well-fought battle against Brown, we were given the day off to rest our legs for our practices and game against Vermont later in the week. Later in the afternoon, our team took a trip to visit our "little sisters." Our team participates in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program in which we are all matched up with a little sister for four years who we get to spend time with every week for about an hour.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday afternoon was a busy practice as we prepared for our upcoming game on Sunday against Vermont. In practice, we worked on fine-tuning our fundamental skills as well as completing several shooting drills. In these drills, we focused on working with the offense in order to capitalize on numbers up situations as well as working with our defense to organize the situations in which they are numbers down

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Saturday morning we all met for breakfast at 8:00 p.m. and then headed up to the turf field for practice. We had a lighter practice in preparation for our game the following day. Practice started with a four-goal game in order to get our legs moving and our communication going. We then moved into several flow drills in which we worked on our ball movement and two-touch passing around the field. To finish practice, we focused on our offensive and defensive corner execution

Sunday, October 26, 2014

GAME DAY! After a good team meal, we headed up to the Hart Center to mentally and physically prepare ourselves for our afternoon game against Vermont. In honor of the "Think Pink" game in which we raised money for breast cancer research, the team wore bright pink socks and breast cancer ribbons to show its support for the cause. We had a tough match up against Vermont as we held them 0-0 until the very end of the first half when it had a quick goal making the score 1-0. During the second half, we had several great efforts to tie up the game, but unfortunately could not get the ball to the back of the net. Despite our best efforts, we did not come out on top, but we now have things to focus on going into next week.


Sophomores Lauren Sutherland (Watertown, Mass.) and Kat Nutting (Ashburnham, Mass.) discuss the eighth week of the season.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Last Monday began our fall break and we started off the week strong with a game against Dartmouth. We scored early taking the lead and the score went back and forth from there. With eight minutes left in the game we scored our fourth and final goal to take the 4-3 lead. We held the lead until, with 5 seconds left in the game, a corner was called against us. Dartmouth scored after time had run out to tie the game, sending us into overtime. We had a few chances, but Dartmouth scored just minutes into overtime to win the game 5-4. We played really well and all in all had a great trip to Dartmouth.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Following our game Monday afternoon, a lot of girls were able to travel home with their parents for our off day on Tuesday. It was nice to have the opportunity to go home and see our friends and family. It was a good time for us to relax and rest our legs in preparation for our big game on Friday night.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wednesday was our first day of preparation for our Friday night game at Boston University. This was a tough practice where we focused a lot on trapping the hard hits that we knew BU were going to send at us. We worked a lot on pressing and out-letting and we decided we were going to play an attacking formation against the bigger Boston University team. After our morning practice, the whole team traveled to a small apple orchard just 30 minutes away and spent the afternoon there. We overindulged in delicious caramel apples and maybe a cider donut or two. It was a fun and relaxing afternoon with the team!

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday was our last day to prepare for our Friday night lights game against BU. We worked on fundamentals a little bit at the beginning of practice and then immediately jumped into game play. We worked on our pressing and out-letting and different situations that were likely to occur during our game. We also did corner repetitions with a fast-break option. We heard the scouting report and we knew what we had to do to compete against BU.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday we began our journey into Boston around 3:00 p.m. in order to avoid the end of the week traffic on the Mass Pike. We got into town around 4:00 p.m. and had the opportunity to walk around and explore the field and the beautiful city campus. We started our usual warm up around 6:00 p.m. and the team was focused and ready to go. At the start of the game, we realized that BU was jumping on us right away and they had a couple of quick players who were powerful in the midfield. After about 10 minutes, we were able to make a few adjustments to create more opportunities for ourselves. Unfortunately, it was a tough game for the Crusaders and we lost 4-0 to the powerful BU team.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday morning at practice, we got right back at it with a competition day. Competition day is when the team splits into two and each different drill is a competition to see who can get the most points. Competition day is always fun but gets very heated and competitive. We did a shooting drill, small game drills, corners and 1v1. The purple team came out victorious on Saturday, but the white team kept them on their toes and proved to be very good competition. 

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sunday we had the day off to rest and prepare for the tough school week ahead. A lot of girls were able to go home to see family and others were able to relax and get some schoolwork done.  


Freshmen Casey Considine (Canton, Mass.) and Sammy Gjeltema (Stow, Mass.) discuss the seventh week of the season.

Monday October 6, 2014

Monday we came out to practice ready to go after a relaxing day off on Sunday. Despite the immense amount of work we all had from mid-terms week, we were ready to work hard and improve our play for our game against Bucknell on Saturday. We spent several hours focused on becoming better players and teammates in order to prepare for Saturday.

Tuesday October 7, 2014

We were up bright and early at the turf for a morning conditioner and ended with competitive wheelbarrow races and a beautiful sunrise to start our Tuesday off right. Feeling awake and ready, many of us went straight to get big at lift with Shep. We were given the afternoon off from practice to study for mid-terms and mentally prepare for our game on Saturday. Later on in the evening, our team attended an inspiring talk with Chris Herren, a former Celtic who battled with drug addiction.

Wednesday October 8, 2014

Fortunately, we were given the day off to put our legs up and study for mid-terms.  

Thursday October 9, 2014

Fresh off a day of rest and putting our feet up, we picked things up and put them down with the notorious Shep. We went to practice ready to demand more from ourselves and our teammates for the game on Saturday. We worked on out-letting and small game play. We finished practice off with some high tempo shooting drills to keep the goalies on their toes.

Friday October 10, 2014

Despite the long hours spent studying for mid-terms we showed up to practice ready to play. We started off practice with some tight stick skills and footwork. We also focused on executing offensive and defensive corners as well as incorporating shooting drills into our practice plan.

Saturday October 11, 2014

GAME DAY! We were up and ready for team breakfast at Kimball at 9:30 a.m. The rain and cold didn't faze us, as we were geared up and ready to take on Bucknell. After a strong warm-up, our team was excited and ready to take the field. After 35 minutes of back and forth play we found ourselves down 2-0 at the half. We came out the second half fired up and played another 35 minutes of strong hockey. Unfortunately, after a couple of unlucky breakaways the final score was 4-0. We kept our heads up ready to travel to Dartmouth the following afternoon.

Sunday October 12, 2014

After a well fought game against Bucknell, we focused on our next opponent as we left in the afternoon to play Dartmouth. After a relaxing bus ride filled with sleep and Halloween movies, we finally arrived at the Fireside Inn. As a team, we went out to Everything But Anchovies for dinner to get some fuel for the game on Monday.


Juniors Katy Cronin (Franklin, Mass.) and Kaitlyn Murray (Farmington, Conn.) discuss the sixth week of the season.

Monday, September 29, 2014

After a tough loss on the road this past weekend, we arrived at practice with our sticks and our running sneakers ready to start fresh on the week. As a team, we were looking to refocus and prepare for the two games ahead. Every member of our team individually worked to demand more first of themselves, then of their teammates. At the end of the day, it was a challenging workout, but it was rewarding to push ourselves to get just a little bit better that day.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

After a nice morning reunion with Coach Shepard in the weight room (soon-to-be newly renovated!) we were ready to pick up our sticks again and get back into the rhythm of practice. We all came out to practice with renewed spirits and energy. We targeted the things we needed to improve upon from the previous game, and worked through specific drills to fix our mistakes. We started with our favorite four-goal game, before moving into shooting. The team took numerous shots on net to get our goalkeepers warmed up and moving. Everyone was looking forward to the upcoming Thursday night game versus Bryant and the intensity of practice got everyone pumped up for the non-conference matchup.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

With 24 hours until the big game, there was high energy out on the practice field. We made sure to perfect our game-specific set plays, as to play our best game against Bryant the next day. The defense battled the offensive line to challenge our offsetting skills against our pressing abilities. Following, we practiced a myriad of corners to get both our offensive and our defensive units ready to take it to Bryant.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

GAME DAY! After a nice day of classes, the team met up in the new beautiful Kimball dining hall for a pregame meal. We fueled our bodies with all the right nutrients to perform our best that night. In the locker room before the game started, Lauren Sutherland led the team in a lively pregame pump-up ritual. Energy high, the team headed out to the field on the crisp fall evening. Freshly fallen leaves crumping under our turf cleats, we had an intense and productive warm-up routine before taking the field for the contest. We scored the first goal of the night off of a strong breakaway move from Mo Connolly, but sadly we came up short in the end. Although the loss was tough, we kept or heads up because we knew we battled hard until the last minute.

Friday, October 3, 2014

It being the only practice between two big games, we worked efficiently and quickly to get some well-deserved rest before our Patriot League contest on Saturday. We took a plethora of corner reps to make sure we could execute against Lafayette. Following the corners, we worked on our pressing strategies and then moved into shooting. At the end of the short but very productive practice, the team was full of confidence and ready to take on a Patriot League rival.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Game day 2.0! With the loss to Bryant now in the past, we headed to an early 8:30 a.m. breakfast at Kimball to start the day. With the 11:00 a.m. game swiftly approaching, we all prepared our minds and our bodies individually before coming together to preform our pregame ritual. It was a great day for field hockey, although there was some mist and wind. We came out hard against Lafayette and our defense came up with many huge saves in the defensive circle. There was constant high energy and communication of the field and we dug deep to fight the strong opponent. Despite our tough fight (and a few unlucky calls) we came up on the short end of things at the end of the game.  But we wouldn't let this loss break our spirits, we knew we played with heart, and showed ourselves, our coaches, and our fans the determination and the potential we have as a team.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

A well-deserved day off! Most of us spent the day in various libraries around campus preparing for exams as midterm-week quickly approached. We rested our legs and mentally readied ourselves to take on practice Monday afternoon. 


Freshmen Maureen Connolly (New Canaan, Conn.) and Rachel Lapar (Wolfeboro, N.H.) discuss the fifth week of the season.

Monday, September 22, 2014

After a long weekend, it was lovely to be reunited with the Hill and enjoy a nice day off which we spent catching up on homework and sleep. In the afternoon, we all got together to have a meeting with the Big Brother Big Sister (BBBS) coordinator, Junior, who informed us about the program. The BBBS program is where each player is paired with a "little" and we visit and mentor them once a week throughout the year. We all are super excited to be working with this awesome program again this year! Other than that, the thought of not seeing each other all day after going on 72 hours together as a team was simply unbearable, so we got together as a team in the afternoon. It was a great way to see everyone and we all enjoyed the rest of our night off to rest our bodies in preparation for a great practice on Tuesday!

Tuesday September 23, 2014

A day off on Monday was greatly needed after a couple of long bus rides and two games in New York. The team knew that Tuesday's practice needed to be at the high level of play and standard that we set together and expected out of each other. At 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, we were ready to go back at it on the field to be prepared for a must-win game against Siena. Our two-hour practice consisted of a four-goal game of two-touch hockey that was high in intensity, outletting from the backfield and shooting drills. By the end of practice, the team was feeling ready to attack Siena our home field.

Wednesday September 24, 2014

A solid practice on Tuesday set the tone for game day. We were mentally and physically prepared for our game against Siena on Wednesday. During the game, we fell behind 2-0, but we overcame this adversity and came from behind to win 3-2 with three great goals that were a result of an amazing full-team effort. After the game, we were extremely happy to come out with a win, but we also knew we were going to have to come into practice on Thursday focused on getting better for another big game on Saturday versus Lehigh.

Thursday September 25, 2014

Thursday's practice started with some team bonding, as we focused on the expectations that we have for each other and ourselves. This exercise jump-started our 3:30 p.m. practice into a focused and productive afternoon, mentally and physically. We were split into four teams to play two rounds of 4v4 hockey. After that, we focused on tipping and shooting, and pressing and outletting. We ended the practice with rounds of corners. This practice made sure that we would be mentally and physically ready to go after our road trip game at Lehigh on Saturday.

Friday September 26, 2014

After a short day of classes, the team boarded the bus for our trip to Lehigh. Everyone was in good spirits and it was hard not to be when the bus was packed with tasty rice cakes, peanut butter sandwiches and lots of bananas! When we arrived in Pennsylvania, we checked into our hotel and then headed to Lehigh's field for a brief practice to work on little things like outletting and off-ball movement that would prepare us for our big Patriot League game.

Saturday September 27, 2014

Game day! The team started the day with an 8:00 a.m. breakfast before we left the hotel at 9:00 a.m. for our game against Lehigh. The first half of the game was evenly matched, but by the second half things were not going our way and falling in our favor. It was a tough loss as we fell 3-1. The five-hour bus ride back was long, but gave the team plenty of time to think about how we need to move forward.

Sunday September 28, 2014

Coming off a tough loss, we had the day off to rest our bodies and really think about what we need to do individually for our two games this upcoming week. It was a much-needed day to refocus so we could come into practice on Monday with a new energy and our eyes on the prize.


Sophomores Audra Kinney (Louisville, Ky.) and Gabriella Smith (Mendham, N.J.) discuss the fourth week of the season.

Monday, September 15, 2014

After a weekend of games, it was nice to kick back and get our legs up on our day off. The team spent the day in class and catching up on homework and rest.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The team was back at it again today with a relaxing sunrise yoga session with our beloved lift coach, the one and only, Shepard Allen. Later in the afternoon, the team had an intense practice. Splitting up into offense and defense, we reviewed video from the previous Sacred Heart and Georgetown games, focusing on ways to improve our play. We then set out for a high-energy practice with drills consisting of hitting, scoring, tipping, cutting and passing with and without a defender, lead passing and combinations to goal, and finally a 9v8 with Maryette. We sought to fix holes in our game that hurt us over the weekend as well as prepare for next week's matchups!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

We came out again for another intense afternoon practice. The team focused on corners and 75-yard play, as well as our outletting and back tackling skills, and a rousing long-hit conditioner to get the niggles out of our legs. This practice focused more on a game plan for the upcoming weekend in New York and aided us in important aspects of our individual and collective games. 

Thursday, September 18, 2014

After a long day of lift and classes, the team hit the pitch for a practice focusing on specific drills chosen by the offense, midfield and defensive groups. Defense chose 2v2 talking boxes as their drill, which improved communication in both offensive and defensive ends, as well as individual defense and double teams. Midfield chose a 7v6 outletting drill in order to understand and work on midfield shifts, structure and formation, in addition to cutting back to receive the ball from defenders. Finally, the forwards chose an energetic shooting drill to keep the goalies on their toes and improve the field players' scoring capacities. We look forward to our weekend in New York and are excited for the challenge we will face at both Colgate and Cornell! 

Friday, September 19, 2014

Today the team met at the Hart Center at noon to depart on our five-hour journey to Colgate. Overall, the trip consisted of eating bundles of healthy snacks chosen by our dear Maryette, naps and watching Divergent. Five hours later, we arrived at the Colgate turf field for a brisk one-hour practice in preparation for tomorrow. Afterwards, we grabbed some sandwiches for dinner and went to the hotel, where we had some nice down time to rest in preparation for tomorrow's contest. Hotel beds are the comfiest! 

Saturday, September 20, 2014

We arrived at the field around 9:00 a.m. We warmed up, got pumped up and set out to play. Unfortunately, the result of the game did not go in our favor. For some reason or another, we did not play to the standard that we had set for ourselves displayed in previous games. All we could do was put it in the past, and focus on beating Cornell the next day. Learning and moving on from a loss is a big part of the competitive game, and that is what we tried to do.

After the game, we traveled to Ithaca for our game against Cornell the next day. We went out to dinner at a local restaurant in which some very committed fans (parents) joined us! It was great to spend time with everyone's families as well as enjoy some quality food. There was also a pool table in the middle of the restaurant and Katy Cronin and I (Gabriella Smith) took on Zowie and our beloved trainer Marisa in doubles. Cronin and I lost, but like I said earlier, we learn from our losses and move on. I'll get Zowie next time ;)

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Game day! We were set to play Cornell at noon. Everyone was motivated to play their hardest and smartest in order to compensate for our disappointing loss the day before. We were determined to get a win and it showed in our play. Our fight on the field was fantastic. We hustled, we were composed and we played smart. Some highlights of the game were Haley Makuch's awesome goal scored on a corner and an exciting penalty stroke opportunity for our team taken by Kaitlyn Murray. The result of the game was a loss of 2-1, but we appeared as a completely different team from the day before and were proud of ourselves. After the game, we traveled five hours once more back to the Hill. Overall, it was a long yet fun weekend spent with the team. 


Sophomores Rae Caliento (Ramsey, N.J.) and Catherine Noone (Belmont, Mass.) discuss the third week of the season.

Monday, September 8, 2014

After playing a weekend full of games against UMass Lowell and Harvard, we were given the day off to rest and put our legs up. We were able to catch up on homework and start the week off right in order to prepare for our three big games this week.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

On Tuesday, we came into practice well rested and ready to prepare for our contest against Quinnipiac. At practice we worked on outletting and pressing against Quinnipiac's formation. We also worked on improving our individual defense and increasing our communication as a team.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

On Wednesday, we woke up and went through the day excited to play Quinnipiac later that evening. We had a team meal before the game and we all thought about the goals we wanted to accomplish in order to play well against Quinnipiac. We played a good game of hockey with possession for most of the game, but unfortunately, we let in two goals and ended up losing the game, 2-0. We are ready to bounce back from this game and work on the things we need to improve upon the next two days at practice.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

We came in Thursday ready to prepare for the weekend and make improvements from the previous games. We worked on transferring, pressing, numbers up and numbers down situations. We did a 6v5 situation to work on our attacking-25 and defensive-25 play when there is a long hit. We ended practice with half court scrimmage play.

Friday, September 12, 2014

On Friday, we came to practice excited to put in as much work as we could before back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday. We worked on individual defense with a 1v1 drill along the baseline. We also did various shooting drills and we worked on both offensive and defensive corners.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

On Saturday, we woke up early and enjoyed a team breakfast together before going to the locker room and preparing for our game against Georgetown. The game against Georgetown was a tough battle. When regulation time ended, the score was 1-1, however, we lost in overtime to Georgetown. Although it was a heartbreaking loss we kept our heads up and began to mentally prepare ourselves for our next game against Sacred Heart. We also had our first tailgate of the season, where each of us introduced our families to the team.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday we spent the morning resting and rehydrating to prepare for our 5:00 p.m. game against Sacred Heart. Before the game, we had a team meal at 2:30 p.m. and discussed our individual goals to focus on during the game in order to perform our best. We went out early for a "knockabout" to warm up and get our blood pumping before the warm up and game. We worked hard throughout the game and we played well, but did not fully execute on the offensive end and unfortunately we lost, 2-0. We look to come off this past weekend's games ready to work even harder and improve for our upcoming games in New York versus Colgate and Cornell this weekend. 


Sophomores Maya Langman (Crozet, Va.) and Megan Miranda (Winchester, Mass.) discuss the second week of the season. 

Monday, September 1, 2014

While the freshmen were at Orientation learning all there is to know about Holy Cross and meeting new people, the upperclassmen took the opportunity to put in some more work and get better. At practice, we worked on attacking end-line play, hitting and receiving consistency around the field, and 1v1s. After practice, we went right to the weight room to see our lifting coach Shep where we worked on cleans, speed benching and pull-ups. 

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Today we had a day off, to rest our bodies. We also spent time getting treatment, preparing for class, and making sure our bodies were fresh to hit the ground running in preparation for our upcoming games.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

First Day of Classes!  We all put on nice clothes and attended classes in the morning and then in the afternoon we headed up to the turf for practice. It was so nice to have the freshmen back with us again! We started out with one of Coach Stuart's little conditioners to get our legs going after a day off. We were all in high spirits and started practice with a game Coach Tucker calls English Bulldogs (we call it Sharks and Minnows). We then went on to some shooting and practiced using our "assets" to protect the ball. Next, we worked on pressing and out-letting and ran through some attack and defensive penalty corners.  After practice, we joined the rest of the Holy Cross student-athletes at the Ice Cream Social to welcome our new athletic director Nathan Pine, where he surprised all the athletes with new Adidas backpacks! Ice cream for dinner and fresh new backpacks, the night couldn't have gotten much better!!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

After our second day of classes, we began practice with some film of last weekend's game, focusing mostly on what we can do better in the attacking-25 to put the ball in the net. Then we went out to the field were we worked on transfer passing and out-letting the ball. Then we practiced attacking and defending long hits and eventually ended our practice by running some corners. After practice, we all raced down to Kimball to get a good meal before our game the next day. 

Friday, September 5, 2014

GAME DAY! To show our PURPLE PRIDE, we all wore purple to our classes in the morning. In the afternoon we loaded on to a brand new bus with our new favorite bus driver Rudy and started off towards UMass Lowell for the third game in a row! Their blue turf has become like our second home! We played hard together throughout a very intense game, because we were not leaving there without a win! The score was 2-2 with less than two minutes on the clock; we were awarded an attack corner and scored to clinch the win. The feeling we got at the end of that game was amazing! That feeling is going to be a great motivator for us through the rest of the season!

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Focusing on our game tomorrow, the team headed up to the turf for another practice.  It was a hot day so we kept our practice short, but accomplished what we needed to.  We went over out-letting and pressing, and did a few corners. After practice, we had a team ice bath to help our legs be prepared for tomorrow's game.

Sunday, September 7, 2014

GAME DAY!  We headed into Boston for our fourth game of the season, against Harvard. Unfortunately, we could not quite pull it together in the first half and had some costly mistakes, but we fought back in the second half allowing only one goal and really put some pressure on Harvard. Although the outcome was not ideal, we are going to take away our fight and perseverance from the second half and use that to fuel the fire for next week's games! Afterwards, we were treated to a lovely dinner at Lauren Sutherland's house before heading back to campus to do some homework and prepare for the week ahead of us.   


Holy Cross junior captain Michelle McNeil (Canton, Mass.) begins the 2014 field hockey season blog by talking about the preseason and first weekend of games. 

On August 12, the Holy Cross field hockey team arrived on campus excited and ready to go for preseason. We welcomed six new freshmen to our squad this year, all who have the ability to contribute to our success as a team. This past year our team worked hard to fundraise and gain support from family and friends. Due to our many phone calls, clinics and camps, we were fortunate enough to take part in the second day of the Program, led by Eric Kapitulik. Click here to view a photo gallery. Our day in the pool was mentally and physically tough, but we accepted the challenge and met the high standards necessary to be good team leaders and teammates. After completing the arduous tasks of judgment day, our team saw that we all have the attitude and volition to achieve our goal of playing in the Patriot League Tournament.

Monday, August 25, 2014

 After a well-deserved weekend off, we went to lift all ready to go with the one and only lift coach, Shepard Allen. We rolled out, warmed up and then went right into our lift consisting of benching and cleaning. Following lift, we went out to practice. We worked on fundamentals, off-ball movement, 5v4 situations, staying low on defense and shooting. It was an intense two-hour practice that set the tone for the rest of the week.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Our last day of double sessions! After a delicious team breakfast in Kimball, we headed up to the locker room to get ready for a specialty corner practice. We worked on finding the right personnel that can execute corner plays that will be successful against our opponents. By the end of practice we named 10 different corners that we are confident will result in goals. We then had another team lunch and came back up for practice. At practice, we worked on out-letting, pressing and defensive corners. We stayed focused for the two hours and had a productive day. 

Wednesday August 27, 2014

With two days to go before the season opener, we all eagerly made our way to another 9:00 a.m. practice (The only one of the day!). We spent the morning honing in on our fundamentals and perfecting our shooting capabilities. Following a fun and productive practice, we all shuffled into lift with our dear coach Shep and continued to build on our strength and speed to attack both our weekend games. With butterflies building as we neared our first games, we understood that everything we did at practice and lift would contribute to our successes.

Thursday August 28, 2014

We woke up bright and early and had team breakfast in Kimball. We met in the Bud Ryan room at 9:00 a.m. where we discussed different presses and formations. We then went out to the field and practiced the way we wanted to play against La Salle. Everyone did a great job communicating on the press and shifting as a unit. We ended practice confident in our preparation to take on La Salle and Longwood.  

Friday August 29, 2014

GAME DAY! It was a GREAT day to be a Crusader. After two and a half weeks of preseason, we were ready to take on La Salle in our season opener. We woke up bright and early to eat breakfast and then headed to the locker room to get our stick bags. We boarded the bus at 9:00 a.m. to give us plenty of time for the 12:00 p.m. start. After a team warmup and cheer, we marched onto the field ready to execute and win. In the first half, we had various opportunities to score, but came up short with a 0-0 game at the half. After making adjustments at halftime, we capitalized on a scoring opportunity when junior, Kaitlyn Murray, scored on a penalty stroke. We protected the lead and came up with the win! Everyone played well as it was a great way to open up the season. 

Saturday August 30, 2014

Another big game day! We boarded the bus at 8:15 a.m. to drive back to UMass Lowell to take on Longwood. We played hard and put pressure on Longwood, but unfortunately came up short. They were able to squeak one by us in the second half giving them the 1-0 win. We kept our heads high, because we played a great game and now know what we need to improve on.  

Sunday August 31, 2014

After coming up with a 1-1 record this weekend, we had a well-deserved day off. After resting and reflecting on our strengths and weaknesses of our first two games, we are ready to have a productive week of practice in preparation for our next game against UMass Lowell on Thursday.





Launch Player
Holy Cross Athletics Moments: 2018-19
Holy Cross Athletics Moments: 2018-19
2019 Baseball Patriot League Semifinal Hype
2019 Baseball Patriot League Semifinal Hype
Softball vs. Lafayette Highlights (5/4/2019)
Softball vs. Lafayette Highlights (5/4/2019)