Volleyball Downs Fairleigh Dickinson In Home Opener
WORCESTER, MASS. – The Holy Cross volleyball team defeated Fairleigh Dickinson 3-0 in the home opener Friday night at the newly renovated Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex. Freshman outside hitter Katie Kerins led the Crusaders will 14 kills alongside freshman middle blocker Clare Honan who tallied nine kills and two blocks.
The Crusaders started the first set strong and tallied 22 team kills (.310 team hitting percentage). Holy Cross won the first set 25-22. A defensive push helped the Crusaders keep the Knights to only five kills in the first set and again in the second set. Holy Cross also notched four team blocks during the second set, which finished with a score of 25-16. Kerins led the third set with seven kills and finished scoring the match point. After 11 tied scores and six lead changes, the Crusaders captured the final set 25-23.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Honan recorded nine kills (.333 hitting percentage), two blocks and an ace.
- Sophomore outside hitter Alessandra Vasquez and junior middle hitter Kristen Somerville both had eight kills.
- Senior middle hitter Mary Mullen also registered eight kills (.400 hitting percentage) and two block assists.
- Freshman setter Shannon Dwyer led the Crusaders with 24 assists and tallied three digs.
- The Crusaders registered 27 more kills than the Knights. In addition, Holy Cross had 44 assists, while the Knights only tallied 19.
- Tournament play continues Sept. 2 as Holy Cross takes on Brown at 1:00 p.m. and Manhattan at 7:30 p.m. the same night for the Purple Game.