Matherne Leads Crusaders at Husky Invitational
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross women's track and field team competed at the URI Pentathlon and the Husky Indoor Invitational Dec. 8 and 9. Freshmen Caroline Hitchcock and Sydney McDonald and sophomore Morgan Sanders competed at the URI Pentathlon Friday. A larger squad traveled to Boston, Mass. for the Husky Invitational Saturday.
URI PENTATHLON HIGHLIGHTS:
- Sanders finished in seventh (3058 pts) for the Crusaders out of 13 athletes. The sophomore's best finish was fourth in the long jump (5.16m).
- Hitchcock placed eighth overall (3037 pts) and saw her best finish in the high jump in third place (1.66m).
- McDonald finished ninth overall (2793 pts). Her best finish came in the high jump in fourth place (1.63m).
HUSKY INVITATIONAL RESULTS:
- Senior Zoe Matherne notched an ECAC qualifiying mark in the 1000m with a finals time of 2:51.50.
- Six athletes qualified for the New England Championships:
- Junior Alexandra Curtin finished first in the 60m (7.78). Curtin also qualified for the New England Championships with a second place finish in the long jump (5.67m).
- Sophomore Allie Smiley placed second in the 60m dash (7.84) and first in the long jump (5.69m).
- Junior Sarah Friess finished fourth in the 60m dash (7.92).
- Senior Meghan Dietter placed first in the 500m (1:17.71).
- Senior Alanna Hitscherich finished first in both the 60m hurdles (8.99) and the triple jump (11.41).
- Freshman Christa Jay Moore placed first in the pole vault (3.50).
- Nine athletes placed in the top three performances:
- Friess finished first in the 200m (25.91).
- Sophomore Caroline Frey finished second in the 400m (59.35) and third in the 200m (26.79), which is a season best and personal record.
- Senior Stefanie McArdle placed second in the 500m (1:18.06), which is a personal record.
- Senior Kelly O'Halloran also recorded a personal record in the 500m coming in third (1:18.75).
- Freshman Maddie Buco placed second in the 1000m (3:11.10).
- Freshman Haley Sullivan finished second in the 3000m (11:17.76).
- Freshman Mimi Liebers placed second in the 60m hurdles (9.27).
- Senior Jamison Briggs notched a second place finish in the pole vault (3.35).
- Sophomore Jillian Purtell tallied a third place finish in the long jump (5.32m), which is a personal record.
- Sophomore Taylor Gensler finished third in the triple jump (11.01m).
The Crusaders will start the new year in Boston, Mass. for the Tiger Invitational Jan. 12.