Holy Cross Downs Colgate 66-47 To Advance To Patriot League Quarterfinals
WORCESTER, Mass. – Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed led the Crusaders with 16 points, as the Holy Cross women’s basketball team earned a 66-47 win over Colgate to advance to the quarterfinal round of the Patriot League Tournament.
Thomas-Waheed tallied 16 points while shooting 5-for-10 from the field and adding four assists for the Crusaders (13-17, 7-11). Senior Tricia Byrne posted nine points with six rebounds and three steals. Sophomores Megan Swords and Kathryn Pedi each notched eight points, while classmate Lauren Manis added seven and led the team with eight rebounds. The Raiders (7-23, 3-15) were led by Nia Ahart, who scored 10 points while shooting 4-for-6 from the field. The win marked the first Patriot League Tournament victory for the Crusaders since 2014, when the team advanced to the championship game before coming up short to Army for the conference title.
Holy Cross shot 40.4% (21-52) from the field while holding Colgate to 31.8% (14-44). From three-point range, the Raiders shot 41.7% (5-12) as the Crusaders posted 30.4% (7-23). Holy Cross had the edge at the free throw line, making 73.9% (17-23) of its attempts while Colgate shot 63.6% (14-22).
WOMAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES
- Following the game, Thomas-Waheed was selected as the Woman of the Match presented the United States Marines.
- She added 16 points with four assists and four rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holy Cross maintained a narrow lead throughout the first quarter and led by as many as five as they outscored the Raiders 15-11 in the frame.
- The Crusaders added the first six points of the quarter to increase their lead to 10. After Colgate pulled within three points, Holy Cross put together an 8-2 run to make it 29-20 before heading into halftime.
- In the third quarter, the Crusaders extended their lead and led by as many 24 to outscore the Raiders 25-13 to make it 54-33 heading into the fourth.
- Holy Cross finished out the fourth quarter strong, leading by as many as 26 and no less than 18, as the Crusaders secured the vitory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross held the edge in rebounding, 41-26, making it the team’s highest margin since outrebounding Vermont 44-28 on Dec. 9 this season.
- The Crusaders held the lead for the entirety of the game, with the score only being tied for the first 44 seconds.
- Nineteen points is the largest margin of victory for Holy Cross over a Patriot League opponent this season.
- The #7 seeded Crusaders advance to the quarterfinal round of the Patriot League Tournament, where they will face #2 Bucknell in Lewisburg, Pa. this Monday, March 5 at 6:00 p.m. Tickets for the quarterfinal matchup can be purchased through the Bucknell ticket office by Clicking Here.